Author Topic: Does anyone know how to use a modern microfilm reader?  (Read 4584 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know how to use a modern microfilm reader?
« Reply #45 on: Friday 21 June 19 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Treetotal and Gan Yam for these posts.

I know on an old reader you just change the size of the lens to view different sizes. 

I will certainly mention what you have been told when I next go to North Shields local studies.  Although, I have already recently been told that technology department say it can't be done.  So I don't know if it is anything with the way the newspaper I wanted to look at was filmed originally.  I will definitely ask about this.  It is a while since I have been to South Shields library to use a machine - they have all modern machines there.  However, it does seem possible there to view a full page of newspaper, so I am not sure why it is not possible at North Shields. ???

I know that the old machines will likely not keep going forever, and one day they will all eventually get replaced by new machines.  I have since noticed that Newcastle now has three new machines .. but most people still seem to go to the old ones if these are free.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner