Author Topic: Does anyone know how to use a modern microfilm reader?  (Read 4523 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone know how to use a modern microfilm reader?
« on: Tuesday 11 June 19 13:20 BST (UK) »
I am at the library and the usual easy to use old fashioned style microfilm reader is broken.  I am using one of their new modern ones to try to look at a newspaper.

However, I can't view the paper pages at any decent size.  I would like to be able to view a whole page at once without having to zoom in to little sections - that would take a long time to find things.

The staff are at a loss to know what to do - might anyone else know.  Even if you can't let me know today it would be useful for another time.  Pages are showing at only a third of the screen - very frustrating - how can I get in full screen mode please?

If anyone can tell me - I will also let staff know.  Thank you.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know how to use a modern microfilm reader?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 13:26 BST (UK) »
Is there a mouse?
Click and scroll wheel to zoom/ shrink?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 13:34 BST (UK) »
 I have a vague memory of using a machine that had two lenses that either slid or swivelled into place. If I remember correctly, one was for close-up, the other let you see the whole page.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 13:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Pauline for trying to help.  There is a mouse but clicking and scrolling is doing nothing, unfortunately. :-\

Oh, I really don't like modern technology.

I will go off to take a photo of screen - give me a little time - staff say I can do this ..

Added .. Thanks too to Isabel.  I will take photo to see if this might help anyone to help me .. be back soon ..
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 13:39 BST (UK) »
I know nothing about microfilm readers, old or new, but while you're there can you see a make and model number?
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 13:48 BST (UK) »
The ones I use, at the Manx Museum Library, are modern - they are essentially computers, with a large computer screen.

If the one you are using is like this, then you need to note what software is being used.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
I am attaching a photo .. thanks Rattus and KGarrad ..give me a few moments and I will dash back downstairs to find out more about the make/model etc to see if this might help further.

I would like to be able to view a proper screen view .. print is too tiny in this view ..  :-\

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
On top left hand corner there is written:

ProLife T2252MTS

and bottom right corner:

iiyama

Is this any help regarding the model?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
Try pressing control button on the keyboard and at the same time, scroll in and out with the mouse wheel. A little box with +/- should show at the top right hand corner of the screen to show the %
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU