Author Topic: Does anyone know how to use a modern microfilm reader?  (Read 4500 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know how to use a modern microfilm reader?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone who have tried to help.  I am going to give up on this for today.

The staff say they will contact their technology people to see if they can help find a full screen view.

I will ask again of the staff the next time I am at the library.  If they can come up with the solution I will post on here .. as you never know someone else may find this useful too. 

Oh, if only the old, easy to use machine had not broken down .. that was a brilliant machine .. I don't like this new complicated, computer says no, type technology at all ... >:(
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 14:54 BST (UK) »
wee Hugh,

I know exactly what you mean.. I have always used the old machine.  I sometimes see people struggling with the new type and then when I vacate the old machine they waste no time in jumping on this.

I think it might be that the old machine will not get fixed .. so I might have no alternative but to try to learn how to use these new 'computer says no' models.  That is if the technology department can either sort it out or explain how to do it to the staff.

I think it is a bad do when simply trying to view a whole page on new technology turns out to be rocket science fit for the likes of the movers and shakers at Bletchley Park!! >:(

I wish I could tell the library to chuck it all out and replace with easy to use technology that doesn't require a rocket scientist to be able to use it.  Bah humbug!! >:(
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 16:02 BST (UK) »
Last minute reply before you pull hair out?
Looking at the keypad to the right of your viewed image, what effect does clicking onto the image like a small screen do.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks, for trying to help Calverley Lad,

I only have a few clumps of hair left after that time in front of the microfilm reader  ;) ;D

I am no longer beside the microfilm reader .. that key pad only helps you go forward or back when using the microfilm.  It doesn't actually help you to read a full page which is what I was hoping to do today.  Ever the optimist, I am hoping the local studies staff will be able to find someone at Bletchley Park .. no, I meant to say in their technology department who can fathom how to use these wretched machines ..

I will post at some point in the future once this rocket science has been worked out so ordinary members of the public like myself can get some research done ..  ;)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
Maybe go to a Library and see if they have a Manual on their bookshelves?    ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
Can the Librarian not contact the I.T Department?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
Rattus kindly posted the manual ..  unfortunately, I am still no further forward.  I will look at this more closely in the near future, even though this might bring on a migraine ..

The library doesn't have a manual on their shelves - which is just as well, as I think I would have been tempted to thwack all the new modern microfilm readers with it just to release all my pent up energy after pulling out my hair in clumps ..  ;) ;D

Unfortunately, I am not really a technology or manual type person .. I am better at the 'sitting next to Nellie' type tuition.  I will have to get this problem sorted though at some point .. I value looking at the old newspapers too much to give up ..  :) ;)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,

Yes, after this afternoon .. me being stuck and the local studies staff being also at a loss at knowing what to do .. they are going to contact their IT department to see if there might be someone who can help.  They are aware that I have been trying to seek help on RootsChat too.

I really think it is quite a bad do when an item of technology proves to be this difficult to fathom.   :-\

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
The Librarian should have been able to contact I.T. Department who could advise her.... or they do it remotely!