Author Topic: Marriage details in Balmain if not in NSW BDM  (Read 2045 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage details in Balmain if not in NSW BDM
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 06:29 BST (UK) »

On the death certificate, 1949, what do you see for -
Place of birth...........
Father's name and occupation.......
Mother's Name.........
Children..........
Informant...........

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 06:54 BST (UK) »
On death certificate place of birth is Bathurst (of which Sofala is part). Fathers name as Harry Matthews (Henry was often called Harry), a labourer and Mother Annie McPeake (Rosanna McPeake is her full name). Children - no issue. Informant- is assistant manager of the sanitarium-J.Sheridan
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 07:05 BST (UK) »
So this is what you may expect to see on a NSW death certificate

Deleted a information already given ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 07:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue, yes I’ve put all that info in earlier post. There were no children of the marriage. To clarify, I’m not overly obsessing with the illegitimate child story, she’s been such a mystery for so long I’d like to find out about her marriage to William Morris and maybe connect with Morris trees on ancestry. I’ve got some great tales over the years from distant rellies. She is my great aunt and so I’d just like to flesh her out.
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 07:34 BST (UK) »
I do not have concrete information to offer, but some thoughts.

There was no need for her to pretend  a marriage as she did not have children who may have needed 'social protection' so to speak.

Because NSW only  makes avalaible limited E Roll details before 1930, it is hard to know her whereabouts or what she was doing.

However the fact that she states home duties on the E Roll findings you have, suggests there was some kind of financial support.

Do you have the E Roll details of any of her siblings over those years?
Was she in fact living with a family member named Matthews or  another surname by marriage?

What is the location of Walter, (the son or the brother :-\) at this time?

Have you explored deaths of the name William MORRIS in the area as there seems to be no indication on the DC as to her status widow etc ?

Still thinking ;D

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 08:02 BST (UK) »
Apart from a NSW BDM death cert, the other most obvious place to read of a NSW marriage is on a NSW BDM birth certificate...  So, did your elusive Great Aunt give birth in NSW?  If so, do you have an official transcription of that birth certificate?  The information on the d.c., provided by a staff member at the San is likely drawn from info gleaned that staff member's recollections of conversations with the  the patient. 

You note that her death is registered in the name of Elizabeth Margaret MATTHEWS, in 1949.  (#11079).  I have checked the online index from NSW BDM and I note that Elizabeth Margaret MATTHEWS is how it is indexed, and it is indexed only the ONCE.

To me, that is indicating that she was known by the surname MATTHEWS .... which you have as her maiden surname.    How certain are you that the lass who died at the San is your lass?  A search for the formal ending of a marriage can be exhaustive, afterall it may have ended interstate or overseas....   
Have you sought the d.c. for her husband as per the d.c. info ... when/where does it have him marrying your lass ... and does it have any children of their marriage?    I cannot see any born to the couple via NSW BDM online index... 

Here is the guide for NSW marital matters prior to the 1976 changes moving these matters to Federal jurisdiction... https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/divorce-records-guide

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/search_form?id=16

Here is the online index for those NSW matters

I have requoted your Opening Post, and spaced it to separate each of the facts you have found.

I have spent many years tracking down an elusive great aunt, who may actually be my g/grandmother.

Finally found her buried at Waterfall Sanatorium Cemetery (for TB).

She was born Margaret Elizabeth MATTHEWS in Sofala, 1884 to Henry and Annie.

I've just received her death certificate which lists her as Elizabeth Margaret MATTHEWS died age 64 in 1949 at Sanatorium & is buried there. (nb there's no public access to this disused site.)

It states she was married to William MORRIS at the age of 19 in Balmain, NSW (so about 1903).

Cemetery records say she was also known as MAY MORRIS.

It lists her address as 21 Shellcore Rd Chullora NSW but it doesn't seem to exist & think it may be Shellcote Rd Chullora?

I can find a William Morris living at no 10 with a Lillian May Morris, but Lillian is still listed on electoral roll at that address in 1963 so that can't be her.

I can't find any marriage record on NSW BDM nor anything on ancestry.

Can anyone give me an idea where else I can locate info on her marriage to William Morris etc. (forgive long post - family rumour is that she was ostracised for illegitimate child, which may actually be my grandfather, Walter. He's listed as child of Henry & Annie too, ie her youngest brother (born 1907) but it was common back then to “pretend” you are the parent when in fact you are the grandparent if your daughter had child out of wedlock).

Have you checked the birth cert for Walter to confirm that his older siblings are listed there, and that your great aunt is listed there with her then age as at the time Walter was born?   

Have you checked the d.c. for both Henry and Annie to confirm that he is listed there as their offspring?

Are you certain that 'there were no children of the marriage' of William MORRIS and your great aunt?

NSW ER 1902 DALLEY,

polling Annandale
William Prosser MORRIS, 195 Parramatta Road, Bootmaker

polling Leichhardt
William MORRIS Paling St, labourer

NSW BDM 'Balmain District' 1900s - far larger than just the suburb 'Balmain' ...   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 08:12 BST (UK) »
NSW electoral rolls are available at the NSW State Library, and occasionally via Ask a Librarian  :)  I have CD for 1913, but I do have hardcopy of 1902.   The 1903/4 rolls are uploaded to Ancestry.  Balmain and the district of Balmain was in the DALLEY electorate in 1902.   

If you are familiar with main roads into Sydney CBD :  the southern border of Dalley electorate was Parramatta Road.  The western boundary was 'the Canal' (the one that still runs from down near Dover St all the way through to Parramatta River.    The Eastern boundary was 'Glebe Point Road' (from where it starts near Sydney Uni, all the way to where it ends, at the water, Rozelle Bay and then the boundary follow the waters edge all the way around, White Bay,  Morts Bay, Long Nose Point, White Horse Point, Fig Tree Point, Long Cove (Callan Park,) back to that Canal.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 08:13 BST (UK) »
Electoral Roll NSW
1930 MORRIS Elizabeth Margaret      Shellcote Road Chullora

1933 MORRIS Elizabeth Margaret      Shellcote Road

1934 MORRIS Elizabeth Margaret     21 Shellcote Road
        HOOD William John, labourer   21 Shellcote Road

1935 MORRIS Elizabeth Margaret      Shellcote Road

Elizabeth Margaret MORRIS has several admissions to hospital during the 1930s....during the depression when housing was difficult to find. Elizabeth goes back to the same street....same house?

There would seem to be someone living with her for Elizabeth to have the sort of housing security that this suggests?

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 08:40 BST (UK) »
This could be the William John HOOD. He died in 1936

HOOD William John
6353/1936
Parents William  & Elizabeth Mary
At GRANVILLE

A funeral Notice
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17316657

He did live at  Chullora. In the estate of......

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17258404

Sue