Author Topic: Marriage details in Balmain if not in NSW BDM  (Read 2044 times)

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage details in Balmain if not in NSW BDM
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions; I’ll follow up on a few leads and if it’s ok, pop back in here if I’m still stuck. You guys are great
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 09:09 BST (UK) »
The man HOOD was 59 years old according to cemetery records at Rookwood.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 10:49 BST (UK) »
The only suggestion I have is that they did not officially marry and this was/ is much more common than previously suggested. Its just a fact of family history research.
shume
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
It is entirely possible that the Reg Gen Office :
 :) Did not process the marriage registration
 :) Did not receive the quarterly return

It was the clergy's responsibility to lodge the paperwork at a deputy registrar's office .... it did not need to be one nearest to the Church.  If the marriage was at the Registry Office near to Balmain,  it still needed to be in the quarterly return to HQ ...

The clergy would hand to the bride the loose decorative certificate on the day .... and he would keep the register record in tact and the loose leaf registry copy separate.  So at least 3 sets signed.  End of the quarter,  forward the loose leaf copies to HQ.   

The bride and groom marry 1903,   bride's brother born 1907 ... even if that was her  child that is still a lengthy time gap ....

Common law marriages have been recognised  in NSW law matters since at least Macquarie era... and prompted much of the Colonial law.

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.