Author Topic: Help finding Martha Knight of Bedfordshire.  (Read 694 times)

Offline PaulineLS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding Martha Knight of Bedfordshire.
« on: Wednesday 12 June 19 04:57 BST (UK) »
I am hoping somebody can help with the baptism of my 5 x g-grandmother Martha Knight around 1747, probably in Bedfordshire.
Martha Knight married John Drage in Felmersham, Bedfordshire 29 Nov 1768.
An infant daughter of John and Martha Drage named Elizabeth was buried 26 Jun 1771 in Felmersham. No baptism found so the family may have been non-conformist.
Martha Drage, widow, married Thomas Clare, widower, at Pavenham on 20 Apr 1779.
A death for John Drage in Bedfordshire has not been found.
Birth of sons John abt 1780 and Thomas abt 1784 in Pavenham (information from census as baptisms not found)
Martha married Ebenezer Cavit at Bedford St Paul in 1796 after the death of Thomas in 1795.
Martha Cavit was buried at Pavenham in 1821 aged 74 years.
Thank you.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Martha Knight of Bedfordshire.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya Pauline and a warm welcome to Rootschat

Martha dies in 1821 aged 74 - we probably only have a relatives word for that - and in those days it was word of mouth -
to marry John Drage she would have to be 21 - or need parents permission if she was younger -

this is the nearest I can find to 1747 - but depending on Calebs occupation - possibly a farm worker who worked around many farms - MANY children were christened aged 3 /4/5 depending on having money at the time to pay for a Baptism - all guesswork ...but is this one a possible ?

Name    Martha Knight
Gender    Female
Christening Date    19 May 1751
Christening Date (Original)    19 MAY 1751
Christening Place    TODDINGTON,BEDFORD,ENGLAND
Father's Name    Caleb Knight
Mother's Name    Sarah
.....................................................................................
Felmersham to Toddington is 26 miles
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline PaulineLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Martha Knight of Bedfordshire.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Garstonite,
Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I have looked at Caleb and Sarah Knight
previously as I have been researching Martha for over five years. I will look into it again
taking into consideration your thoughts on baptisms.
I feel like I have looked at every Knight family in Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire without
one that seems to fit.
I have undertaken research with BFHS which was a great help with the Clare family but nothing
on the Knight family. The only thing left is researching non-conformist baptisms in more detail
and then sitting back hoping for an Ancestry DNA match.
Cheers.