Author Topic: Looking for information on John Cattell who lived Preston Bagot late 17 hundreds  (Read 1823 times)

Offline forestchild

• RootsChat Extra
  • Gr Grandma Marion with Granddad and Gr Aunt May
    • View Profile
I'm trying to find out more about my 5x great grandfather John Cattell who lived in Preston Bagot in the late 17 hundreds.

His eldest son Nicholas Hains Cattell was my 4x gr grandfather. His baptism gives parents as John and Sarah. I think Sarah was Sarah Mortiboys b Packwood 1750. She married a John Cattell in Warwick in 1771 and this fits with Nicholas being born 1772. The Mortiboys were from Nuthurst and 2 of Nicholas's brothers later moved to that area. Also several of the children's names are Mortiboy family names.

I haven't been able to find a possible baptism for John. One person on Family Search claims he is the John Cattell b Coventry 1750 but I have found no grounds for this claim and Coventry is quite a distance from Preston Bagot.

I did a search for a Cattell Hains marriage as I assume Nicholas's middle name was a maiden name of a family member. Since it isn't his mother's name I thought maybe grandmother. I found a marriage of a William Cattell to an Ann Haines in Kinwarton nr Alcester in 1722. This is about 8 miles from Preston Bagot and seemed likely but I can't find any trace of this couple after their marriage. There is a Hains family in Alcester in the 1800 who are malsters and Nicholas was a malster, that's interesting.

Nicholas married Mary Dadley and her brother's son Henry married a Jane Haines b 1816 whose father was a malster. I wondered if there was a connection there.

Can anyone with access to parish records for this part of Warwickshire help?
I'm looking for a possible baptism for John and also his death record in the hope that it gives his age at death. He almost certainly died in Preston Bagot as Sarah was living there when she died in 1839.
I'm also searching for any trace of William and Ann after their marriage.
I would also like to find the parents of Janes's father John to see if there was a link.

I've been trying to get further with this branch of my tree for years. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Brinkworth King's Stanley Glos
Lusty Glos
Alder K Stanley
Hogg Glos
Rogers W'hampton
Orton Stafford
Harris Derbys
Kendrick W'hampton
Jackson Wednesbury & Dudley
Lee  Derbys
Doyle Wednesbury Staffs, Newhall Derbys & Cork Ireland
Stamps & Turner West Bromwich
Davies Shrewsbury & Tipton 
Wilson Shropshire
Goodlad Dronfield Derbs
Pendrell Shrops & Staff
Cattell & Dadley Warwicks

Ashton Leicester
Moulding Leics
Raven Leics
Rodgers & Pollard Shepshed Leics
Warner Leics
Mander Warwicks

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi
Here's the children of John and Sarah at PB
Nicholas 21.5.1772
William 9.4.1775
Elizabeth 8.3.1778
Joseph 18 .3.1781-27.3.1781
Mary 91 .5.1782
Ann and Sarah twins 15 Feb 1785 (Ann bur 3.3.1785)(Sarah 5.3.1785)
John 17.7.1786 -23.7.1786
Mabel 17.7.1786  buried same day
Isaac and Rebecca twins 28 .4.1788 (Rebecca buried the 30th)
Joseph 26 Sep 1792

Possible burial for John 7.6.1797 Apparently his grave has survived and is on Warwickshire Monumental index
Possible Will proven 18 May  1802 at Worcester Archives
Wife Sarah 22.2.1839 age 88 year and her grave has survived as well.Her Will is definitely at the Hive. 18 May 1839.
He rents land first of Mr Bowden in 1773 onwards and then Sir Edward Smythe from 1790

In 1774 he appears in the jurors list
John Cattell constable Preston Baggott
He is there in the gamekeepers register  in 1787.

Also in parish Joseph and Martha - John 19.7.1758,Thomas bapt 20.1.1760 buried 2.3.1760
They married 14 June 1757 at PB her name Martha Findon of Claverdon
wit James Findon and John Alliband.
Bapt for Joseph to Thomas and Mary at Wooten Wawen  28 Nov 1734  ?
Martha buried at Claverdon 27.1.1759/60  wife of Joseph Cattle
Possible burial for Joseph 9.3.1817 at Beaudesert of Henley In Arden.Again the gravestone has survived.
Juror there  1773 malster  and also 1776,1790 and up to 1792
A draft copy of a Will he made in 1791 in in Birmingham Archives
MS 3069/Acc1930-022/373561

Thomas and Mary -William 29 Feb 1747 bapt privately He died 17.3.1747
Daughter Mary buried 13.5.1744
Thomas is renting land of Mr Bowden until 1775.
Possible Will of Thomas Cattle of Beaudesert 23 July  1782 at Worcester Archives

I'll see what else I can spot

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi
The Alcester marriage gives them both of Beoley Worcestershire
Possible apprenticeship 1721 of William Kettle of Alcester to Nicholas Battman cooper of Alcester .William's father William.
But that may be a different chap as he seems to marry at Kinwarton in 1731 to an Elizabeth Brandown.

Not finding anything in Beoley.

I think you are right about the John Cattell  so Joseph as there is a Will for a Joseph Cattell 1783 .
This gives two wives for John ,Elizabeth dec  grandson John and Ann present wife grandson Joseph.
Of course it may not be the same family.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on John Cattell who lived Preston Bagot late 17 hundreds
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 June 19 11:06 BST (UK) »
Right Cracked it!!
Found the will 1817 for Joseph Cattell malster  of Henley in Arden.
He is rolling in it.He owens land Henley,Claverdon,Rowington and Grosford in Denbighshire which is why his Will is proven before the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Joseph has remarried to a Mary Gardener of Rowington by licence 16.4.1763 at Beaudesert
They have two children I can find Mary 10.9.1766 and Ann 6.9.1769.
They must have died because he doesn't mention them in his Will.
His wife Mary is buried at Beaudesert 26.3.1801 and her grave stone still survives.
Mother Mary seems also to have been buried 2.6.1791 and her grave is still there.

But back to the Will -made 13 Feb 1817

His housekeeper Sarah Ryder gets to live in his main residence for life but after her death it goes to
Nicholas Hains Cattell my nephew.
Nephews Issac and Joseph Cattell get £15 pa annuity from the rents of other properties.
Lots of properties go to the nephews and their heirs.
nieces Elizabeth and Mary Cattell mentioned
Then there is the grandson William Cattell and his children which seem to be under 21.Him I can't trace.

So John must be Joseph's brother.
Baptisms at Wooton Wawen
John 8.4.1733 s of Thomas and Mary indexed at Catler but is the same couple on the image.
Joseph 28 Nov 1834 s of Thomas and Mary Cattel

Possible other children at Welford on Avon
Mary 30.12.1730,Anne 21.3.1735,Richard 30.4.1738,Thomas 22.2.1739.Mary 23.5.1742,John 25.2.1745.
Not sure if they are the same couple but there is only one Joseph Cattell born 1734/5 to fit with his burial and that's the one at Wooton Wawen.

Ciderdrinker

Offline forestchild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on John Cattell who lived Preston Bagot late 17 hundreds
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 June 19 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of this information Ciderdrinker.
I was thinking after your first 2 posts that Nicholas may have been Joseph's nephew as he was also a maltster in Beaudesert in 1802 and I knew his father was a John. I was just about to post when I saw your last post.

I am still wondering how Nicholas got his name. Surely there must be a Hains connection somewhere, but perhaps it was a close friend, maybe a Godfather. Nicholas doesn't appear to be a family name either and he was the eldest son unless John had an earlier marriage.
I must visit the Preston Bagot/Beaudesert area to see the gravestones.

Forestchild
Lusty Glos
Alder K Stanley
Hogg Glos
Rogers W'hampton
Orton Stafford
Harris Derbys
Kendrick W'hampton
Lee  Derbys
Stamps & Turner West Bromwich
Davies Shrewsbury & Tipton 
Wilson Shropshire
Goodlad Dronfield Derbs
Pendrell Shrops & Staff
Cattell & Dadley Warwicks

Ashton Leicester
Moulding Leics
Raven Leics
Rodgers & Pollard Shepshed Leics
Warner Leics
Mander Warwicks

Offline cattellfamsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 September 19 15:41 BST (UK) »
I have also been researching the Cattells of Preston Bagot for the past few years, and have also had difficulty finding John's Father, and am interested in looking into the wills mentioned in this recent conversation, as I had looked at Thomas and Mary as likely Parents, but had no idea how to actually prove a family connection.

I am also having great difficulty in locating some burials.  Isaac, Nicholas Hains Cattell's younger Brother is my 4X Great Grandfather, I know where and when he and his wife Ann died, but have had no success in finding theirs, or Brother William and Nicholas's burials.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? It would be great to be able to get the whole picture.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 September 19 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hello
The Will is on Ancestry or at the National Archives at Kew site or pm me with your email and I'll pass it on.
The only burial i can find is William's .He dies at Stratford upon Avon and familysearch has a burial that fits 20 Oct 1862 but only location is England.
So I'd look at churches there that aren't on FindMyPast or Ancestry

Ciderdrinker

Offline cattellfamsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 September 19 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, I have a copy of one of the wills you mentioned yesterday, that of Joseph Cattell, who describes Nicholas Hains Cattell as his nephew, which certainly proves he was John's Brother. I find the handwriting terribly difficult and am grateful to you for outlining it's content!!

I have been through a copy of the Parish register from Preston Bagot and already had details of Joseph's marriage to Martha Findon, but had no idea that he had married again, and now realise I had already found his and second wife, Mary's grave.

William's grave is one I am really struggling with, I know he died in Stratford, he owned property there, I have seen his will, but can find no trace as yet of where he is actually buried.

It's a work in progress, but thanks once again for this possible further generation.

Offline forestchild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 September 19 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Cattellfamsearch we are 5th cousins. Nicholas is my 4x great grandfather. I have also been trying to find the burials. With regard to Nicholas I don't even know when or where he died as it appears to be before 1837. He moved to West Bromwich between 1802 and 1809. His wife Mary died there in 1828 but he just disappears.

I found a possible marriage for William in West Bromwich in 1820 to a Hannah Fisher. Could she be a sister of Isaac's wife? I also found Isaac Cattell witness to marriage of Sarah Cattell to Richard Butler in West Bromwich in 1827, could that be your Isaac?

Forestchild
Lusty Glos
Alder K Stanley
Hogg Glos
Rogers W'hampton
Orton Stafford
Harris Derbys
Kendrick W'hampton
Lee  Derbys