Author Topic: james lie and family  (Read 2115 times)

Offline carolaj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james lie and family
« on: Wednesday 12 June 19 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, would anybody have information on james lie born about 1630 and isobell mccallan born about 1632 I have one daughter Isabel lie born 1655.

be interested in where the name Lie came from

thanks carolaj

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: james lie and family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 June 19 17:27 BST (UK) »
Lie could be a shortened version of another name ie, Leslie. Do you have any other info, place or parish ?
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 19 19:41 BST (UK) »
It could also be an alternative spelling of Lee.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 June 19 07:21 BST (UK) »
FF is correct Lee, not much call in Scots for the double E. "Black's Surnames" has Ley, Lie, Lee & Leye. A John Lie in Snook Miln, 1718.

Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 June 19 10:07 BST (UK) »
I can't see any record of this baptism, but there is a marriage of James Lie to Issobel Mccallan in the parish of Dyke, County of Moray, on 3 March 1650.

There are some baptisms of children to James Lie/Lee, no mother named, in the parish of Dyke:
James Lie 1665
William Lie 1690
Thomas Lee 1694
Jean Lee 1695
Isobell Lee 1696
George Lee 1697
John Lee 1699
As Thomas, Jean, Isobell and George were born in consecutive years, it may be that there are two overlapping families.

Carolaj, where did you get the 1655 date for Isobel Lie, and why did you post this on the Orkney forum rather than the Moray forum?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline carolaj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 June 19 11:06 BST (UK) »
thank you every one for your help. I was pasted on the 1655 date form another member of my family,
Sorry for putting the question in the wrong settings I get mixed up sometime wwith the different parishes and town.

carolaj4

Moved to Morayshire.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 June 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
thank you every one for your help. I was pasted on the 1655 date form another member of my family,
Sorry for putting the question in the wrong settings I get mixed up sometime wwith the different parishes and town.
Getting mixed up doesn't matter - I just wondered if there was an Orkney connection that I was missing.

Where did the other member of your family get the 1655 date?

Offline carolaj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 June 19 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi forfarian,

sorry its so long ago I cannot remember who it passed it on to me, I have be doing my family for about 25 years now and this family was one of the first I had in my tree, so       i'am going back to the start and seeing if a can fill in any holes,

one again thanks you for your help  carolaj

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 June 19 23:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry it's so long ago I cannot remember who it passed it on to me. I have been doing my family for about 25 years now and this family was one of the first I had in my tree, so I am going back to the start and seeing if I can fill in any holes.
Good plan.

www.scotlandspeople didn't exist 25 years ago.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0