Author Topic: Finding Donald Campbell  (Read 89 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding Donald Campbell
« on: Wednesday 12 June 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hello
          Is there any way of finding out if someone served in WW2?. My relative Donald Campbell was born 22/10/1922 and died in 1976.
I have his parents and grandma living at Wembley in the 1939 register but he is not with them, I can only assume he was in the forces but was only 17 and as he died in 1976 he would be showing if he was living away from home.
Many thanks
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Donald Campbell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 16:05 BST (UK) »
Did he marry during the war? My mother's first husband is shown on the certificate as 'soldier in HM forces' with his civilian occupation (plumber) underneath.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Donald Campbell
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
He never married and he was the only descendent of my grandads brother so the end of that line. His father married during WW1 and like you said both were on the certificate and that is the only evidence  I could find, there is no other record of his father's service.
Another uncle joined the RAF aged 16 in 1937 and I suspect Donald was in that too.
Thanks
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks