Author Topic: How soon after the event?  (Read 515 times)

Offline doofa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How soon after the event?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
Apologies did not no there was such big family as it was not mentioned

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 16:56 »
On my own personal tree I enter the information as soon as I know of the event. The more delay there is, the more doubt there could be as to accuracy. I am in possession of a Family Bible where many milestones are obviously recorded well after the event, and inaccurate.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 19:48 »
I think it depends on how well you knew the person.

I have been doing this for well over 40 years and most times I don't give a thought to the death details I am entering for someone as the event was a really long time ago.

However, I found I couldn't enter the death details for my mother who died last year for at least 6 months afterwards - it just seemed too raw.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 20:40 »
I know distant relatives are a different matter but a close family member should be given some respect.

You have to remember though that a distant relative is someone's close relative and it would be dreadful if they found out about a death in that way. If a tree is private, you can add it whenever you want, but on a public tree I would at least wait until after a funeral, as I would assume that by then everyone who knew the person well enough would have been informed of the death.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk