Author Topic: Crossland or Crossley?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Crossland or Crossley?
« on: Thursday 13 June 19 10:20 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the parents of John Crossland/Crossley.
He marries Elizabeth Lockwood 17 Jan 1796 Kinoulton, Notts. Although I notice there are 2 marriage records in 2 different churches in the village. Not sure if this is too do with a transferance of records between churches or one is the banns and the other the marriage.

One record is -
John CROSSLEY of Kinoulton and Elizabeth Lockwood of Kinoulton married by Banns 17 Jan 1796 Church of St Luke, Kinoulton, Notts. Witnesses - Thomas Abelson and Thomas Randall.
The other is -
John CROSSLAND of Kinoulton and Elizabeth Lockwood of Kinoulton married 17 Jan 1796 Church of St Wilfrids, Kinoulton, Notts.

They appear to baptise these children in Kinoulton -
Mary 1797
James 1800
John 1802
Amlia 1803
Mahala 1803
Thomas 1806
William 1807
Then they seem to move to Rothley/Mountsorrel, Leicestershire and baptise these -
James 1810
Jeremiah 1812
Rosamund/Roshannah 1814
Elizabeth 1817

John, I think dies 1835 Rothley, Leicesteshire. Aged 70 with a birthdate as 1765 and living in the south end of Mountsorrel.

Wife Elizabeth I think dies 1830 Rothley, Leicestershire. Aged 53 with a birthdate of 1777 and living in the south end of Mountsorrel.
I have Elizabeth's baptism as 'Elizabeth Lockwood, Nov 1777 Kinoulton, Notts. Daughter of John Lockwood (Bricklayer) and Mary Garner.
John Lockwood marries Mary Garner 29 Oct 1771. Church of St Wilfrids, Kinoulton, Notts.
Not sure of John's origins as I can see no Lockwoods in the area, Maybe came to work at the brickworks?
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crossland or Crossley?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 June 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
Both marriages are on the FreeReg site. The one which gives John's surname as Crossley is taken from the Parish Register, the one giving the surname Crossland seems to have been taken from an unspecified register, so as you say, may be the Banns. I'd be tempted to go with the Parish Register entry,particularly as the children were all baptised Crossley.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 19 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hello
Nearest baptism to Kinoulton I can see.
John Crossland s of John and Sarah 29 Sep 1765 at Nottingham St Nicholas
He seems to e their only child.
John senior may be the one baptised at St Mary's 15 Sep 1734 s of John and Mary Crossland.
A possible marriage at St Nicholas 18 June 1765 to Sarah Billings was cutting it fine for the birth of John junior.

John Crossland and Mary Northall at St Mary's 9 Sep 1733
Their children John 1734,Mary  31 Jan 1736/7   Ann 23 Jan 1738/9 St Nich Bur 26.10.1743 ,William 28 Mar 1739 ,Thomas 18 Jan 1741,Elizabeth 23  Mar 1746 St Nich,Catherine 20 Jul 1750 st Nich ,Jonathon 18 Mar 1753,Francis 2 Apr 1755 St Nich .

Mary wife of John buried 9 Sep 1770 St Nich 
John possiblly 28 Dec 1804 st Mary's

Ciderdrinker

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 June 19 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

I think the name is most likely Crossley as all the baptisms are with this name. There appear to be no Crossley baptisms in Leicestershire before 1780.
Another John Crossley was baptising in Loughborough around the same time as my John and dies in 1816 with a birthdate of 1789.
Also a John Crossley who died in 1847 Ashby de la Zouch with a birthdate of 1768.
A John Crossley married in Market Bosworth 1762 to Rebecca Towers. No trace of Their children if any, can be seen.

I noticed the John Crossland bapt 1765 Nottingham as its only about 10 miles from Kinoulton but I was thinking this John might have been the John Crossland who married Ann Smith 27 May 1800 in Nottingham.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 June 19 16:34 BST (UK) »
NFHS has the marriage at St Luke, Kinoulton between Elizabeth Lockwood and John Crossland.
 Burials also at Kinoulton, St Luke.
17 May 1798 Mary Crossley dau of John & Elizabeth
1 June 1800 James Crossley son of John & Eliz.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 June 19 19:15 BST (UK) »
I'll just throw my two penn'orth in here; I have Crossleys in Penistone Parish, WRY, and the vicar regularly wrote Crossland when he should have written Crossley, and vice versa.  Only a knowledge of where the local Crossley and Crossland families lived has helped me sort them out (as he did write their abodes in the registers) .  Just something to bear in mind. 
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)