Author Topic: James Terry born 1767 Alvechurch, Worcestershire, England  (Read 976 times)

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Terry born 1767 Alvechurch, Worcestershire, England
« on: Thursday 13 June 19 12:40 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for James Terry in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania from 1794 onwards. I have not been able to trace him in the United States of America.

James Terry was apprenticed as a Bookbinder and Stationer in 1780.  He married Mary Bradford in December 1788.  Mary died in 1799 and was buried 16 April 1799 at St Leonard's Church, Beoley, Worcestershire, England.  James Terry paid for the indenture of his apprentice Josh Ward in 1793.  The Master's occupation was stated as Bookseller.  James Terry then married Elizabeth Standbridge, born 1769, at St Mary, Warwick, Warwickshire, England on 29 July 1794. 

From a biography of James Terry written by his sister's daughter, which although undated, because of the detail in the content, was written after 1845, it is known that he arrived in England from America in 1803.

On June 10 1804 James wrote to his sister saying that they were embarking that day for Philadelphia.  The party that travelled included the parents of Elizabeth Terry, John Standbridge 1730-1812 and Elizabeth Tomlinson 1732-1804; the brother of Elizabeth Terry, John Christopher Standbridge 1771-1847 along with his wife Frances Lillington 1772-1846 and their two infant children.  Also in the party were two servants of John Standbridge senior.

James Terry arrived in Philadelphia on 12 August 1804.

Any suggestion of how I may trace him further would be appreciated.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Terry born 1767 Alvechurch, Worcestershire, England
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 June 19 21:52 BST (UK) »
I've watched this thread all day, hoping someone had something more useful to say. I can't think of anything you probably haven't done already.
Censuses? - they only list the head of household, but the breakdown of members might help identify him.
I assume you looked everywhere that you found his wife's brother (in Philadelphia). I noticed on ancestry.com that John Christopher Standbridge was listed in the Philadelphia Quaker monthly meetings, I think when he died. Was James Terry a Quaker, if so have you looked through their records thoroughly?
And why do you say he is in Harrisburg? Was it in his niece's biography?
It's almost too bad he wasn't a farmer, at least he might have bought land and there'd be the hope of finding a deed somewhere.

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 June 19 08:21 BST (UK) »
oldohiohome,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and for your reply.

I know James Terry was in Harrisburg from the letter he wrote to one of his sisters. The letter, dated 10 June 1804,  was sent from Liverpool before his party embarked for Philadelphia.  In the letter he gives the name and address of a shipping agent in Birmingham, who was sending goods twice a year, normally in the Spring and Autumn. 

In an attempt to trace James Terry I have looked at the family of his wife Elizabeth Standbridge.  I should have said that I have not been able to trace Elizabeth Standbridge-Terry in the United States of America either.

John Standbridge 1730-1812 appears to have been a successful businessman.  In England he had been a builder and architect.  He died in 1812 and his will states that he was from Millerstown on the Juanita, County of Cumberland and State of Pennsylvania.  He left provision for his wife Mary Hodgetts, who had travelled with the party in 1804, John's wife Elizabeth Tomlinson 1732-1804 having died at sea on the voyage from Liverpool.  His will also mentions his daughter Elizabeth who was alive in 1812.  John bequeathed to his son John Christopher his real estate which included his house and plots of land in Millerstown along with his plantation in Pfouts Valley, Greenwood Township, Pennsylvania, which measured one hundred and eleven acres.   

Descendants of John Christopher Standbridge 1771-1847 and his wife Frances Lillington 1772-1846 seem to be well documented.

I am located in the UK and as a result this part of research is restricted to what I can find on-line.  I have looked for trade directories, but, have not been able to find any for the early part of the 19th century in this region.

As you say it's too bad he wasn't a farmer!

EDIT: In first post the death and burial of Mary Bradford should read 1789.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 June 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
...  I have not been able to trace Elizabeth Standbridge-Terry in the United States of America either.
I didn't find her either at ancestry.com. As I write this, I realize I didn't try familysearch. I will later today. familysearch.org is a good site for US records and is free. It just requires setting up an account. But the early 1800's is very early to find any records available.

There may be county histories or histories of early Harrisburg online. You will need to google for them, as they could be anywhere. Some counties have good genweb sites, where county resources are available or at least pointed to. And there used to be some freepages on rootsweb; it was offline for a while, but some people may have restored their information.

Harrisburg is in Dauphin County. look for that as well. Records in the US, outside of New England, are kept at the county, and Genweb was organized by county.
Researchers often think in terms of the county.

I'm not sure if this will help:
https://www.deathindexes.com/pennsylvania/index.html

And some people are firm believers in Cyndi's List website of genealogy resources. I probably should look at it more often myself.

Try googling  'Dauphin County genealogy resources' or similar.
Is there a local county or city Genealogy Society? Or can the local library in Harrisburg help, at least to point you in the right direction? Their site might have a Genealogy Research section.

Look for the "random acts of genealogical kindness" website. I think it was
continued by someone else when its original maintainer died. They are known for doing voluntary lookups, but someone local to Harrisburg might be able to help.

Last resort, hire a local researcher, but where to get a recommendation is another question.

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 June 19 11:36 BST (UK) »
oldohiohome,

Many thanks for your suggestions.  Should keep me quiet for a while!