Author Topic: Elizabeth Wyte(r/n)born Barking?1772  (Read 2771 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Wyte(r/n)born Barking?1772
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 June 19 18:44 BST (UK) »
Got the first bit now!
To be LET, with immediate possession, a
MARKET GARDEN, of seven acres, with house, barn, and
outbuildings, Mossford-green, Barkingside, near Ilford—rent 50/. a
year. Apply on the premises to James Stringer.

Sorry if Colne Engaine leads nowhere. It was just a thought.
John

Offline arny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 13:08 BST (UK) »
You'll find all registers for Colne Engaine 1620-1839 have been transcribed & are on Freereg.com
England,Essex,Tendring Hundred. Webb,Carter,Gilbert,Cunningham,Manning,Carter,Cutting,Marshall,Starling.Bacon.Gant.
Suffolk,Kersey: Farthing,Green,Welham,Vince,Riddlestone.
South Shields 1823 Joseph Porter Master Mariner

Offline arny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 13:11 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Whitten married Daniel Hoy 26 Jul 1785 Colne Engaine.
England,Essex,Tendring Hundred. Webb,Carter,Gilbert,Cunningham,Manning,Carter,Cutting,Marshall,Starling.Bacon.Gant.
Suffolk,Kersey: Farthing,Green,Welham,Vince,Riddlestone.
South Shields 1823 Joseph Porter Master Mariner

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 13:39 BST (UK) »

Interesting. That proves that there was a family (or at least one with a close enough name to Whyten) in the parish around the right time. Both were widows, so it is possible that this Elizabeth was our Elizabeth's mother.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 13:58 BST (UK) »

It appears that Daniel Hoy was baptised 3 April 1764 and buried in Colne Engaine 12 November 1786, so this is probably Elizabeth Whitten's husband, which makes me think that she wasn't Elizabeth Wyten's mother after all, but she does appear to be unlucky with husbands (or they appear to be unlucky with wives).

I wonder if she actually is Elizabeth Wyten. If she was born in c1769 she could have (just about) had enough time to marry and be widowed twice by the end of 1786 and then moving to Barkingside and marrying James Stringer in 1799. She could have lied at her marriage to James about being a spinster (and being of the parish); I doubt that anyone would have checked. If that is the case then her maiden name was probably not Wyten/Whitten.

Just a thought...

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:44 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth's age on death is a bit older than suggested in the census. Can you pin down the last baptism in Barking to James and Elizabeth?
There's a run of them well after 1813, did son James marry an Elizabeth as well? Confusing!

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth's age on death is a bit older than suggested in the census. Can you pin down the last baptism in Barking to James and Elizabeth?
There's a run of them well after 1813, did son James marry an Elizabeth as well? Confusing!

It's very complicated. I'm confident that the Sarah Stringer (and her children Charles, Thomas and Mary Ann Smith) on the previous page of the 1851 census is the widow of Elizabeth's son Charles who was born in 1803. Assuming that Elizabeth was born in 1769 based on her age a death it would be reasonable to believe that all of the children of James & Elizabeth up to and including Elizabeth Anne in 1809 could also have been hers. That would leave four; John (1812), William (1814), Mary Anne (1816) and Ellen (1817) unaccounted for.

Now Elizabeth's eldest son James (b 1799) married Mary Elizabeth Hyde in 1818, but at the baptisms of their five children she went by the names Mary Elizabeth, Mary, Elizabeth, Elizabeth & Elizabeth respectively. She also went by the name Elizabeth in 1841 and at her burial in 1855. If James & Elizabeth are the same couple as James & Mary (Elizabeth) that is...

Having thought that I'd cracked it, looking again at the two generations of James & Elizabeth Wyten and James & (Mary) Elizabeth Hyde and the leftover children from James & Elizabeth born 1812-1817 (John, William, Mary Anne & Ellen) I'm now pretty sure that something is wrong and that there is another James & Elizabeth in Barking in the mix. Or possibly two more, although I haven't found any more in searches for either baptisms or marriages.

I'm going to have another go by entering everything I know about this lot into Excel and seeing if I can make any more sense out of it. Could be a long job. I'll report back if I get anywhere, but don't hold your breath.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your reply. It is a knotty problem! Yes, please do let us know if you get somewhere with it.
It could be that Elizabeth reduced her age a little in the census, on the other hand it is not unknown for the age given on death to be somewhat exaggerated if they are elderly. I guess son James was the most likely informant (but I don't know of course!), stating 84 on the death reg, and she was 85 on the burial record (in her 85th year perhaps?)

We do have the baptisms in the Barking PR's to look at on FamilySearch, with the image number given to us in the index (England, Essex Parish Registers, 1538-1997)
i.e. William Stringer, bap 6 March 1814, father Labourer, abode Barkingside
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6Q9S-8VH?i=840&cc=1465709&cat=399365

John

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 20:03 BST (UK) »
We do have the baptisms in the Barking PR's to look at on FamilySearch, with the image number given to us in the index (England, Essex Parish Registers, 1538-1997)
i.e. William Stringer, bap 6 March 1814, father Labourer, abode Barkingside
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6Q9S-8VH?i=840&cc=1465709&cat=399365

I have saved copies of all of the available birth marriage and burial parish records.