Author Topic: Jessie Helen Dorman - where did she go?  (Read 4862 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Helen Dorman - where did she go?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 June 19 21:38 BST (UK) »
A Herman Muller, hairdresser, 31 leaves Liverpool for New York in Jan 1892

And his Ellis Island record states he lives in London!  Intended a projected sojourn

That looks promising too. A year after the Census. But no Jessie  ::) 
Thank you Mabel.  Something else to mull over.

Looby :)

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 June 19 22:09 BST (UK) »
Don't think that's the same chap, as he's also on 1891 (still in Whitechapel)

Sorry, I'm confused.  Do you not think the Whitechapel Hairdresser called Herman Miller is the Hermann Miller/Muller who was married to Jessie?  I've looked for another one in Whitechapel on the 1891 and , unfortunately, can't find him on FS.

This is the 1891 entry for Herman who is still in Whitechapel in later years. Livng at 3 Thomas St

Herman Miller    29 - hairdresser b Germany. Single
Fritz Walde    22 - hairdresser's assistant b Germany. Boarder

Reference is RG12, piece 279, folio 49, page 2

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 June 19 22:18 BST (UK) »
I think you will find Jessie & her 2nd husband in Springburn, Lanark in the 1911 census.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 June 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
I think you will find Jessie & her 2nd husband in Springburn, Lanark in the 1911 census.
flst

Thank you for this information flst,

Is this the lady married to Issac Wood who Forfarian found? I've been so busy looking at Hermann I forgot to go back and look at that marriage on SP.

Looby  :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 June 19 22:41 BST (UK) »

This is the 1891 entry for Herman who is still in Whitechapel in later years. Livng at 3 Thomas St

Herman Miller    29 - hairdresser b Germany. Single
Fritz Walde    22 - hairdresser's assistant b Germany. Boarder

Reference is RG12, piece 279, folio 49, page 2

Hi Mabel,   Yes that does look consistent with the 1901 & 1911 Census.  So the Whitechapel hairdresser is a different man to the Paddington hairdresser.  Thank you for posting this.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 13 June 19 22:46 BST (UK) »
Article in The Scotsman 31 May 1887 has a Herman Muller or Miller, hairdresser, 71 Leith  Walk, Leith at the Edinburgh Bankruptcy Court " Muller... said his stock and fittings were sequestrated for rent last Friday.He was put out of his shop. .... He had been eleven months in business and it paid very well until about a month ago. He never had any money in bank".

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 June 19 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has helped so far - I appreciate it.

But back to Jessie Helen Dorman. I've refreshed my SP credits  ;D and checked the 1908 marriage between a Jessie Muller and Isaac Wood in Milton, and unfortunately it's not Jessie Helen Dorman.
Jessie Muller is 21, a fishmonger's assistant and has different parents. But it was worth eliminating her.

So did my Jessie Helen Dorman/Miller/ Muller join her husband in USA circa 1892? Or was she dead ? Or had they separated? 
Still hunting - but at least I'm further forward than I was.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 13 June 19 22:54 BST (UK) »
Article in The Scotsman 31 May 1887 has a Herman Muller or Miller, hairdresser, 71 Leith  Walk, Leith at the Edinburgh Bankruptcy Court " Muller... said his stock and fittings were sequestrated for rent last Friday.He was put out of his shop. .... He had been eleven months in business and it paid very well until about a month ago. He never had any money in bank".

William

Thank you William  :D That is interesting ....Leith Walk, Leith  ....the Edinburgh connection !
So it looks like at some point after the marriage in 1884 Hermann and Jessie did go to Edinburgh  - if this is the same Herman/n Miller/Muller.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 June 19 22:59 BST (UK) »
Valuation rolls have in 1885 a Hermann Miller as tenant occupier of a shop 123 West Nile Street,Glasgow and Herman Millier tenant occupier 47 Inglefield Street Govan and Gorbals.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)