Author Topic: Cornelius Johannes Smulders  (Read 3299 times)

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Cornelius Johannes Smulders
« on: Thursday 13 June 19 17:48 BST (UK) »
I am looking for his second marriage to Ruth Ida Abbott in Victoria, She was christened Ida Ruth Phillips although according to her death cert her Christian names have been reversed. She supposedly emigrated to Victoria in 1970 with her first husband Basil John A Abbott.

I found her with Cornelius on the 1980 Electoral Registers living in North Clayton. She died in 1982 and was cremated at Springvale Crematorium. He died in 1993. Both of them left wills.

As I live in England it is getting quite expensive to order records online and wondered if there is  any other way to access information.

Poirot
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Cornelius Johannes Smulders
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 June 19 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there,   

You note that you have her death cert, so I am a tad confused by your request ... I would expect that Cornelius would have been the informant or at least he would have provided the information on the d.c. about when and where they married each other. 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

Deaths
 Date and place of death;
 name and surname;
 occupation of the deceased;
 sex and age;
 cause of death,
 duration of illness,
 medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased;
 name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname signature, description and address of the person who gave the information;  signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered,
 when and where buried,
 undertaker whom certified;
 name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial;
 place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in the Australian colonies or states (stating which),
 name of spouse,
 place of marriage,
 age at marriage;
 names and ages of children of the deceased.

I am looking for his second marriage to Ruth Ida Abbott in Victoria, She was christened Ida Ruth Phillips although according to her death cert her Christian names have been reversed. She supposedly emigrated to Victoria in 1970 with her first husband Basil John A Abbott.

I found her with Cornelius on the 1980 Electoral Registers living in North Clayton. She died in 1982 and was cremated at Springvale Crematorium. He died in 1993. Both of them left wills.

As I live in England it is getting quite expensive to order records online and wondered if there is  any other way to access information.

Poirot

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/access-to-registry-information/information-is-restricted-for-specific-periods

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 June 19 10:33 BST (UK) »
This information is not on the death certificate which is why I posted this query.

It just states first marriage to Basil Abbott in Devon with no date. Then second marriage Melbourne, Victoria 40 years Cornelius Johannes Smulders with again no date. I assume the 40 years refers to his age.

I first found her married to Cornelius on the 1980 Electoral Register prior to that he was listed with his first wife Ann Maria.

There are only two children listed on the death certificate. Christopher deceased and another at 3 years. Christopher was her son with Abbott. I have found his gravestone and a newspaper article about his death at 12 years old.

Poirot
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 June 19 10:48 BST (UK) »
40 years is her age at marriage,  so in around 1970s she married Cornelius as the online  index shows her recorded age at death was 47.

I posted a live link earlier,  the online index for marriages has 60 years restricted access limitations.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 June 19 20:21 BST (UK) »
Not sure how this works in Australia. Does this mean that I cannot send for a certificate unlike in the U K or can I order direct from the Goverment site.

I really need some help on how to proceed please.

Poirot

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 June 19 01:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, it means you can’t get it until around 2030.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 June 19 02:29 BST (UK) »
Vic BDM online Index
Deaths
Christopher ABBOTT, aged 12 #14482, parents are named on the index.   

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

JM

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 June 19 15:33 BST (UK) »
I followed the link in your message and have created an account.

I tried to order the death cert for Basil J A Abbott d. 1988 and Cornelius d. 1993 and neither record was found. I had no problem with my previous request for Ruth Ida who died in 1982.

Is there a year restriction for death certs?

poirot

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 June 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
I followed the link in your message and have created an account.

I tried to order the death cert for Basil J A Abbott d. 1988 and Cornelius d. 1993 and neither record was found. I had no problem with my previous request for Ruth Ida who died in 1982.

Is there a year restriction for death certs?

poirot

Yes,  as per the link to vicbdm that I gave at reply #1.

30 years for deaths

JM