Author Topic: Cornelius Johannes Smulders  (Read 3322 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cornelius Johannes Smulders
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 June 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
Just ordered and downloaded Cornelius's first marriage cert to Anna Maria Wilhelmina De Leeuw in 1952.

They married in Australia and he was 29 and she was 32. So now I have a definite dob for him.

Prior to that I found him on the Immigration List arriving in Freemantle 7/6/1951 from Rotterdam.

He was single then so that gave me a good idea of when he first married as his wife in on the Electoral Register in 1963.
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 June 19 01:39 BST (UK) »
Just ordered and downloaded Cornelius's first marriage cert to Anna Maria Wilhelmina De Leeuw in 1952.

They married in Australia and he was 29 and she was 32. So now I have a definite dob for him.

Prior to that I found him on the Immigration List arriving in Freemantle 7/6/1951 from Rotterdam.

He was single then so that gave me a good idea of when he first married as his wife in on the Electoral Register in 1963.

Basil’s death should be available, as it’s over 30 years, but you are correct in saying that it doesn’t show up.

Cornelius didn’t land in Fremantle, he went to Melbourne, as per passenger list: 72 Carlisle Oakleigh Melbourne C/o W Van Weegberg.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 June 19 02:05 BST (UK) »
You may wish to ask Dutch clubs in Melbourne ie Dutch Club Abel Tasman has a Heritage contact on their website , mostly based on Post WW2 immigration.

It might be another avenue

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 June 19 02:34 BST (UK) »
He is listed in several electoral rolls, so he was eligible to enrol to vote, so he was either a British Subject with permanent residency in Australia or an Australian Citizen.   Did he seek naturalisation after arriving in Victoria? 
The naturalisation papers should give his exact dob.   

Here is a live link to the 15 page passenger list of the Sibajak
http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/10148448/1

ADD
Australian Electoral Roll, 1977
Ida Ruth ABBOTT, 10 Claudel St, Clayton 3168, nurse
Cornelius Johannus SMULDERS, 10 Claydel St, Clayton 3168, boilermaker

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 June 19 08:54 BST (UK) »
I have located the will for Cornelius and thought I could purchase it and download it but sadly no.

I have been advised by the Record Ofice that it is available today in the North Melbourne reading room so that is a disappointment.

Finding it hard to read his first marriage certificate as the writing is faint and scrawly.

Very helpful reply from a Librarian on the site that was recommended. Thank you for that contact.
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 June 19 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
on TROVE there is a Government Gazette 1962 regarding  Certificate of Naturalization for Cornelius and Anna
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/241014787/25994059

Cass

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 June 19 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

That made interesting reading thank you for that.

Just found that I can actually purchase a copy of a will online which should download tomorrow. I must have been ticking a wrong box before.

I hope there is mention of the four children mentioned in Ida Ruth's mother's obituary as I can't find three of the births so I don't know who they belong to.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 20:13 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone tell me are there two Claudel Streets in Melbourne, one in North Clayton , 3168 and another in Eastleigh, 3166.

Thank you,

Poirot