Author Topic: Cornelius Johannes Smulders  (Read 3336 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cornelius Johannes Smulders
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 21:20 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone tell me are there two Claudel Streets in Melbourne, one in North Clayton , 3168 and another in Eastleigh, 3166.

Thank you,

Poirot
They will be the same address. Over time suburbs will disappear and take on the name of their bigger council area.

Looking on  a current map putting North Clayton or OAKLeigh gives the same location
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

I am trying to trace a relative whose last address was Claudel Street, Clayton, Victoria, 3168.

I looked on www.australialookup.com and he was listed there. I don't know if this site is up to date.

I wrote to this address and had an email reply saying it was delivered to Claudel Street, Oakleigh East, Victoria 3166 and that I had an incorrect address as on opening it the person I want does not live there. Now I am totally confused as this is not the same post code.
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

I am trying to trace a relative whose last address was Claudel Street, Clayton, Victoria, 3168.

I looked on www.australialookup.com and he was listed there. I don't know if this site is up to date.

I wrote to this address and had an email reply saying it was delivered to Claudel Street, Oakleigh East, Victoria 3166 and that I had an incorrect address as on opening it the person I want does not live there. Now I am totally confused as this is not the same post code.

I have just tried the live link you posted.  I think it may not be as comprehensive or current or accurate as you may have expected. 

It lists one of my siblings at an address that they left back in 1976  and it fails to find me .... or any of my living elderly rellies at various addresses in NSW or Qld.

It is not unusual to find streets running through several postcodes,  municipalities and the greater metropolitan area.  Also it is not unusual for a street name to be used by several municipalities within the same city.  I am in NSW,  so not familiar with details of suburbs in Melbourne, but people do move from locality to locality and in Australia personal privacy is pro-actively practiced.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 July 19 23:17 BST (UK) »

Cornelius and his first wife might have known each other for some time before their marriage:

Anna Maria Wilhelmina Smulders (nee de Leeuw) b 21 Dec 1919 was born in Tilburg (Noord Brabant) as the daughter of Wilhelmus Johannes de Leeuw en Maria Nicolasina Smulders!!

BTW Cornelius was born 03-04-1921 .... I haven't got his other birth details yet, but I suspect that he could have been born in or near Tilburg as well.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 July 19 15:21 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of his will and he died 14/8/1993 at the address in Claudel Street.

He must have divorced his first wife as he states he makes no provision for her or 2 daughters & a son. He leaves all his estate to his son from his second marriage.

His second wife had also been previously married and she died in 1982. They could only have been married for about 4 years.

I have not been able to find her marriage to Cornelius or the death of her first husband Basil John A Abbott. She may have divorced him I suppose.

They married in Devon, England and I found him on an electoral register so he would have died in Australia.
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.