Author Topic: Campbells in North Shields abt 1800  (Read 2079 times)

Offline ozdelver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Campbells in North Shields abt 1800
« on: Friday 14 June 19 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am struggling to find birth/baptisms for both Christiana Campbell (b abt 1801) and her sister Eleanor (b abt 1797) in North Shields. I have not been able to find their births/baptisms on Ancestry or Findmypast. They were possibly non-conformist. Any ideas on where I should be looking will be very much appreciated.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells in North Shields abt 1800
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 June 19 14:41 BST (UK) »
What other information do you have about them - parents etc? What is your source for their birthplace?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ozdelver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 June 19 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi JenB, birthplace  is from 1851 Census for Christiana. She married Robert Bell (mariner) in 1821 in London. I can’t find her in 1841 Census.
Her sister Eleanor never married. In 1841 Census Eleanor was living with Christiana’s son’s wife and chn in London. Son was Alexander Campbell Bell, also a mariner. He settled in Sydney and his aunt Eleanor followed him there with his wife and chn.
In 1851 Census Christiana described herself as a widow.
I have no parents for the sisters, just their birthplace of North Shields. Alexander Bell’s bapt was non-conformist, in London.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 June 19 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi JenB, birthplace  is from 1851 Census for Christiana.

If I have the right person it just says 'Northumberland'? (Christiana Bell aged 50 with daughters Christiana and Eleanor, living in Jubilee St., Stepney?)

Offline ozdelver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 June 19 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi JenB,
Sorry, I got the sisters mixed up.
 Birthplace of North Shields was in Eleanor’s 1851 Census, living with Margaret Bell (Christiana’s daughter-in-law)  and chn in Tower Hamlets.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 June 19 17:51 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling to find anything at the moment.

Her sister Eleanor never married. In 1841 Census Eleanor was living with Christiana’s son’s wife and chn in London. Son was Alexander Campbell Bell, also a mariner. He settled in Sydney and his aunt Eleanor followed him there with his wife and chn.

I think I'm right in saying that Eleanor died in Balmain, New South Wales in November 1861?
Isn't there any additional information about parentage on her death certificate?

Offline ozdelver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 June 19 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi JenB,
Thankyou for your patience in looking at this problem. I have spent many hours searching and got nowhere either.

I was hoping someone over in England would know if the North Shields records actually exist and have been transcribed/filmed/put online somewhere that I don't know about here in Australia.

Yes, Eleanor Campbell died in Sydney, living at her nephew Alexander's house with his wife and family. I will order a transcription of the Death Cert, but am not confident that it will have much detail, even though most of the Australian State's death records can contain a lot more info than the English ones.

There are several  trees from the Australian Bell family on Ancestry and most of them don't even have Christiana and Robert in them, so Alexander may not have known who his grandparents were. I have emailed the Tree owners but had no response. But the Death Cert is worth a try -thankyou for the suggestion.

I spent yesterday trying to track Robert and Christiana's daughter Christiana (groan! so confusing) hoping I might find her widowed mother with her in the post-1851 Censuses. No luck there either. Christiana married John Collis Jones in July 1860 in London, and they appear on the 1861 Census together -then disappear! I think he might have died in 1865 (as John Callis Jones), but Christiana has vanished. I can't find a re-marriage, any children, no sign of her or her mother Christiana in England or Australia. Very frustrating!

This research has the ultimate aim of trying to identify the birth parents of one of my husband's uncles. Five of the uncle's chn/grandchildren have now done DNA tests, and we feel we are getting some good hints as to the family lines of the birth parents. But there are matches we cannot connect yet, and so I am trying to extend the Tree sideways and upwards in an effort to link the DNA matches into the network I have created so far.

We have one match that is on this Bell/Campbell line, and also several from the Birt line, which is the family that Robert and Christiana's other daughter Eleanor (another groan!) married into. This Birt  line is believed to lead directly to the birth mother (a girl who has been a strong candidate for many years but no way to prove it).

The Bell line is very frustrating too. I can't go back before Robert Bell, he never appears on a Census as he was a mariner (and a Captain by the time of his death sometime before the 1851 Census). I have no DOB, no parents, no birth place, nor a date or place of death either. He may have been from Glasgow, but again very time-consuming and difficult to pin-point. I have spent months chasing Robert Bell!

Thanks again for your time looking into this for me. Let's hope the NSW Death Cert will give me some details.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 June 19 09:58 BST (UK) »
I was hoping someone over in England would know if the North Shields records actually exist and have been transcribed/filmed/put online somewhere that I don't know about here in Australia.

At that time North Shields was actually a Township of Tynemouth Parish. The Parish Church was Christ Church. I think I'm right in saying that all the baptisms have been transcribed onto freeReg, but in any event you should be able to browse them here, via the Bishops Transcripts https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DZ7S-HZT?wc=9K53-SP8%3A13617901%2C30809801%2C30809802&cc=1309819

However there were also quite a few Non-Conformist Churches, but few of the records for those have been transcribed.

There is a full list here (covering all dates)  https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Tynemouth/tynnconf

It might be significant that her son, Alexander was baptised in the Scottish Church in Stepney.

Not much help I'm afraid, but I'll carry on pondering, for what its worth  :-X

Offline ozdelver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 June 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi JenB,
Thanks for the tips re the North Shields records. I think I will have to browse the baptisms and see what I can find.

I knew about the Scotch Church Baptism of Alexander, and it is interesting. Eleanor was baptised in the CofE. Maybe Robert Bell was home from the sea at the time and wanted his son christened in his native Scotch Church (if indeed Robert was from Glasgow).

I can't find a baptism for Christiana, so perhaps she was also done in a non-conformist church somewhere.

Looks like I will have to find them the hard way -tooling through the images, or even hitting the LDS to see if they have films of the Non-conformist records from Tyneside and even Glasgow for Robert Bell.

I have spent a lot of time with the maritime records for him, but there must have been over a hundred Robert Bells sailing in the 19th Century. I thought I had my man twice, but both ended up as false leads. I will have to go back through the list and eliminate each one individually, as I have a rough start point (about 1790 I think) and a more definite end date -sometime before 30th March 1851. I know he was made a Captain as there is a Marriage notice in the London papers in 1860 for Christiana's marriage to John Collis Jones, and mentions "daughter of the late Captain Bell".

I have sent off for a transcript of Australian Eleanor Bell, and should have it in a day or two. Hopefully her parents are listed!

Many thanks again for your help over this conundrum!