Author Topic: Irish RC Parish Registers - Latin  (Read 1127 times)

Offline ChristineM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish RC Parish Registers - Latin
« on: Friday 14 June 19 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Hoping someone who has knowledge of usage of Latin in these registers might be able to assist me.

I have a marriage entry that on the NLI site is partially black and pretty much that side of the entry is illegible.  Today I was at PRONI and viewed the microfilm which was 99% clearer.

The entry reads ".... Dispensation in 4th to 4th Con. Of. ...."  Unfortunately the Catholic Church does not allow the making of copies from the microfilm without a letter from the Church which I don't have.

The abbreviation "Of." might be "af." for afinitatus meaning related through an earlier marriage of the two families.  I could not at the time make out what was after this if anything at all.  I may have misread it as two words when it may in fact just have been afinitatus.

My question is would there normally just be the one word afinitatus or would there be two words?

Sorry for such rambling but I can't find anything online to help me out.

If you want to look at the NLI image it's a marriage for William Dempsey & Rose Cleary (Latin names used) married July 9 1857, Aughnamullen West Parish, Co. Monaghan.

Many thanks,
Christine.
AUSTRALIA: Farrelly, Boland, Harte
IRELAND:  Boland (Tipp), Dempsey (Cavan), Farrelly (Meath), Guerin & Harte (Clare), McGivern & McKenna (Monaghan), Traynor
SCOTLAND:  Dempsey (Edin), Welsh (Forfar,Arbroath,Kirriemuir,Kincardine), Milne (Forfar,Dundee), Barron, Bisset (Montrose)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish RC Parish Registers - Latin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 June 19 19:05 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 June 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
The wording that you suggest is most likely to be some abbreviated form of the phrase ...

Dispensatio in 4 x 4 gradu consanguinitatis obtenta

... meaning ‘Dispensation has been obtained (for a marriage) in the 4th and 4th degree of consanguinity’, which suggests the spouses were cousins.

That said, I can’t actually read those words on the image at the link posted above, and without a readable image I'm afraid it’s little more than guesswork.

Offline ChristineM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 June 19 08:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox, appreciate you taking time to look for me and your suggestion.
Christine
AUSTRALIA: Farrelly, Boland, Harte
IRELAND:  Boland (Tipp), Dempsey (Cavan), Farrelly (Meath), Guerin & Harte (Clare), McGivern & McKenna (Monaghan), Traynor
SCOTLAND:  Dempsey (Edin), Welsh (Forfar,Arbroath,Kirriemuir,Kincardine), Milne (Forfar,Dundee), Barron, Bisset (Montrose)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile