Author Topic: Obtaining English certificates from overseas  (Read 1926 times)

Offline jinnyf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Obtaining English certificates from overseas
« on: Saturday 15 June 19 08:59 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the family history and have got to the stage where I need to obtain some certificates to confirm that I'm on the right track.
I live in South Australia and am hoping that some else who doesn't live in England can recommend the best way of doing things, eg, of paying the correct amount.

Thanks
Jinny

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining English certificates from overseas
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 June 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
the cheapest way is from the GRO itself, you can opt for pdfs for some births & deaths depending on period

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Don't buy from family history sites as they add a HUGE mark up!
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline jinnyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 June 19 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your prompt response.  I've been reading a few of the threads, and I definitely got that message!
I was more looking for advice on how to go about it.  Particularly, with the exchange rates fluctuating daily, how do you make sure that you send the right amount of money?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 June 19 09:13 BST (UK) »
the GRO takes card payments so no sending of actual money.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline jinnyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 June 19 09:15 BST (UK) »
That's one worry less!  Thanks

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 June 19 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jinny :)

I'm also in South Australia, but my ancestors were all English so I've had a lot of dealings with GRO.  Ordering is easy, especially if you know their reference for the certificate you want (if you don't, they'll find it but then they charge more).

Start with the link Osprey gave, open an account, and look at their historical index for births and deaths.  If the event you want is too recent to be listed there, or if you're looking for a marriage, try this other site which is completely free: https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
FreeBMD is fairly complete up to 1983 but they don't sell certs, they just provide GRO index details.

When ordering from GRO, take the PDF option (if offered) unless you want a document to hang on the wall.  PDFs are far cheaper and contain the same information without the 'official' format.  They come by email in a few days, whereas paper certs take around 3 weeks by air mail.

Just ask if you'd like any more help, or you can PM me if you'd prefer :)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 June 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
If you do decide to go for a certified paper certificate which is posted to you, just to let you know that postage is included in the cost of the certificate no matter where in the world you are.

I think it is a guessing game when to buy to get the best rate of exchange. If you want to take a gamble and want to save a dollar or two you could wait in case the tide turns in your favour. But it might not. As you are only ever talking about a few dollars is probably isn’t worth worrying about unless you are really pushed for cash. There is all sorts going on politically in the UK at the moment but I don’t know how that might affect the exchange rate. I’m sure someone will though.

I just had a look at it looks about average at the moment.

I agree that you should purchase through the official channel - the GRO. It’s very easy to do so.

Some people purchase certificates through the local register offices. There is a different set of registration numbers associated with those but you do see your ancestor’s original signatures, if they signed. I think you need to apply over the phone or by letter and it is no cheaper, and not as simple but worthy of consideration if the signatures are important as a way of cross checking, or just for interest.

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 June 19 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi jinnyf,
I too have ordered a large number from the GRO and have had no problems at all.  It is very easy and you can pay by credit card which makes things easy.  The exchange rate fluctuations does not have a huge impact on the cost.  I think there is a small cost on the credit card for an overseas transaction.
Regards Kaybron

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 June 19 11:49 BST (UK) »
My Australian bank adds on 3% for 'foreign' transactions, it's only a few cents.  The pound is hovering around AU$1.80 at the moment.

Jinny, the mention of signatures reminds me - if your people were married in church, especially Church of England, their signatures can often be found on the parish register copy of their marriage certificate.  Many counties have had their church records digitised and they're viewable on Ancestry or FindMyPast.

Did you know that many libraries subscribe to Ancestry's Library Edition?  Ask your local library if they have it.  It has all of Ancestry's English records, free of charge, and when you find something good you can email it to yourself!  I did that before I bought my subscription.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch