Author Topic: Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him  (Read 7595 times)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 20:50 BST (UK) »
Go to place an order on GRO not the search part as that has restricted dates. You have the reference number.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_select.asp
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 20:57 BST (UK) »
OK thanks. I know I have the reference, but that should relate to the same record GRO or Carmarthen. If Carmarthen cannot find it in their records will the GRO be able to?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
References at District Register Offices are completely different to the GRO reference ;D

They use different systems of referencing.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I will get the certificate. I am not experienced enough to know the finer points, just logic that makes me question.

Offline Nettie Lyn Evans-morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 November 19 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Long shot here trying to trace my grandmother Kate my mother revered to her as a gypsy andI saw this on a Romany site I thought I'd look further my dad is 82 after he got meningitis vss a child he's memory is not very good .but he says there were not many records back then .all I know was she was one of 17 but only 13 or less survived I remember my aunts vaguely they were called violet and may .Kate married miner Issac morris .they resided in railway terrace cymfllynfell in the black mountains .she died of a stroke but I do remember her .I know in the 60s some of the family lived in morriston Swansea.her eldest son john was born in wales however my father was born in england so the mystery began when we found out my father was not issavs child it explains why we were never close after Kate's death and lost contact with the Evans family kind regs nettie

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 November 19 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Was your grandmother Kate Evans and her husband was Isaac Morris, and marriage around 1930?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 November 19 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage:
Marriages December quarter  1929
Catherine W Evans   Morris    Swansea    11a   1907
Isaac Morris    Evans    Swansea    11a   1907   

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 14:36 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Chempat,

My grandmother was Maggie Brown who married her cousin Thomas Williams.
There is a specific section for Travelling People, where I also asked a question.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=813727.0
There someone provided me with a link. The website was made with Flash software, so you may have to accept it, before opening on your computer.
http://romanygenes.com/evans-family/4571213814
It will take you to the Evans page, but there are others in Wales and England. I quickly looked in Wales and at some England pages, but that does not mean they were not travellers. It may be best to ask a question on the Travelling Families page of Rootschat, as those who frequent it have much more experience than I do. I now have further information relating to the Evans family of travellers that I will pass on to romanygenes.com.

My interest in Daniel and Aaron Evans, travelling-folk was to close that generation in my family tree. Daniel married my great-grandmother Martha Jane after her husband another Thomas died in 1917. Arron Evans his son married Martha Jane Williams, her daughter six-months later in 1918.
In the 1939 Register I could find all that were still living, apart from Daniel. My great-grandparents were married in 1894, Haverfordwest and my grandparents in 1915, Merthyr. The Williams family were Hawkers, so fall into the same category, and company as Travellers, Basket Makers and Coopers.

The closest in Wales seems to be the one you offered: Marriage between Isaac Morris and Catherine W Evans . Oct-Dec 1929 . Swansea, Glamorganshire . Volume: 11A . Page: 1907 . Line: 6. Even on Free BMD, this is the only marriage in England/Wales 1928-1932 between Isaac Morris and an Evans. If this is the right marriage, its certificate should provide his occupation and his father with his occupation. I would take a gamble and purchase the certificate. A family of travellers could be easier to trace. I only realised the Evans family were travellers, having found them in the 1911 Census living in the yard of a public house and he was transcribed as a Stowman (typo Showman).

Other than the 1939 Register, there are the local newspapers, but the online resource only goes up to 1919. As my interest was a generation or two before, I found so much about them, though mainly attending different Courts for fighting. Still I do not know what happened to Daniel and probably never will.

Offline Nettie Lyn Evans-morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 December 19 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is my grandmother late and Isaacs marriage .I have some names for you .after talking to my dad .he said there were two illtids .one was in trouble and went to prison .the other was killed by the last bomb in ww2 .in Italy the war ended and they were getting on a boat but the Italians fired a shell as they had not been told the war was ended .his sisters violet went each year to Italy to pay there respects .Kate father name unknown to me was a general or high up in the salvation army in morriston wales.this may be a way to search their records .even my dad says its all a mystery .feral my father was born 22 Sept 1938/9.