Author Topic: Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him  (Read 7587 times)

Offline Nettie Lyn Evans-morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 11 January 20 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I have found our lot were from Berkshire .the earlier Evans I found on record was joane Evans daughter of Griffith 1613 this was another site .there are links with Devon going back .I hope its OK to post here I'm new to this and I'm finding new things daily .unsure how to post myself .l also am Annette flowers I logged on in both names by mistake,.!!.my ancestors were probably selling religion as my great grandad ended up in salvation army .but like you there is achunk missing .regards annettie

Offline Nettie Lyn Evans-morris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 12 January 20 00:48 GMT (UK) »
I found this site I have screenshot it for you there is an Evans section .few dans on there plus immigration to usa and transportation to australia notes and links .cannot find mine on there .I will try find the Evans family in Devon link on Wikipedia site .may help you find Dan .

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 03 February 20 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him

I found a death for Aran Evans; Age: 62 (Est 1896) . Jan-Mar 1958 . Carmarthen
Volume: 8A . Page: 315 . Line Number: 42. Spelt the same way as pervious records, I am sure it is the right person. I have sent for the death certificate.

His wife, Martha Jane Evans (Williams) died . Age: 50 . Carmarthen Jul-Sep 1945 . Volume: 11a . Page: 870 . Line Number: 28. Although I could not find Aran, or his wife in 1939; at the time of her death, she was living at the same address as her mother in Blue Street, Carmarthen. I have sent for her death certificate, to see who registered the death.

Aran’s father Daniel, in 1939 was occupying the ’Living Van’ in Carmarthen. I found 6 deaths of a Daniel Evans registered in Carmarthen that would fit with his birth range. Checking probate, I think I have ruled out 5 of them. The only one remaining is; Daniel Evans . Age: 72 (Est. 1872) . Apr-Jun 1944 . Carmarthen . Volume: 11A . Page: 954 . Line: 136. At present, I have not sent for that death certificate.

Although he was not living with his wife, in 1939, she was also in Blue Street, Carmarthen. She died in 1940. Martha Jane Evans . Age 70 . Carmarthen Oct-Dec 1940 . Volume: 11a . Page: 1883 . Line: 76. At present, I have not sent for that death certificate.

I also found Daniel’s first wife Catherine Ann was born a Boswell. Then I found the marriage. My search had only considered a marriage before the first child was born, which was also claimed in the 1911 Census that they had been married 19 years. But the marriage was registered in Swansea 1899, after the four children had been born. I have sent for her birth certificate and their marriage certificate. On the GRO, her birth says mmn Williams, which is starting to make more sense.

On a Rootschat discussion, some have pointed to a few children being born to a Catherine with mmn Bass. There are children that fit the dates and locations of birth, which have mmn BASS; could BASS actually be Boswell? In being travellers, I accept the birth location on a Census, may not be where they were registered. There is nothing recorded with Boswell as the mmn in Wales. It is clear from my searches, some travelling families changed their names to suit the situation.

I will post more when the certificates arrive. Also information relating to Catherine Ann who I have traced with links to Machynlleth, though says born in Carmarthen.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 06 February 20 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Having found the birth of Catherine Ann Boswell; GRO mmn Williams, I cannot find a marriage between a Boswell and Williams. It is making more sense, as I am finding other family connections that lead back to Williams. At present I have found Daniel Evans, but I cannot find Catherine Ann Boswell in the 1891 Census.
Can anyone find Catherine Ann Boswell in the 1891 Census?
Can anyone find a marriage between a male Boswell and female Williams?
(Her birth was registered in Swansea which is noted in some Census records, but in 1881 it is Carmarthen. I have looked for a marriage on Family Search but nothing yet.)

I believe this is her:
1881 Census: Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire
Richard Williams . Head . M . 59 . Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire
Eliziarbeth Williams . Wife . F . 61 . Talyllyn, Merionethshire
Catherine Ann Boswell . Grand Daughter . F . 8 (Est 1873) . Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire . Scholar
RG11 . Piece/Folio: 5477/43 . Page Number: 15
GS Film: 101775497 . Digital Folder: 101775497 . Image: 00090

1871 Census: Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire
Richard Williams . Head . M . 50 (Est. 1821) . Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire Stone Cutter
Elizabeth Williams . Wife . F . 53 . Talyllyn, Merionethshire
Richard Boswell . Grandson . M . 9 . Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire
David Boswell . Grandson . M . 7 . Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire
William Boswell . Grandson . M . 5 . Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire
Affiliate Image Identifier: GBC/1871/5601/0100
GS Film: 000892467 . Digital Folder: 004412512 . Image: 00103

1861 Census: Graig Vach . Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire
Richard Williams . Head . M . 40 (Est. 1821) . Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire Stone Cutter
Elizabeth Williams . Wife . F . 41 . Talyllyn, Merionethshire
David Williams . Son . M . 14 . Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire
RG09 . Piece/Folio: 4239 / 43 . Page Number: 16
GS Film: 101820085 . Digital Folder: 101820085 . Image: 00076

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 07 February 20 19:04 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate arrived; of 14 Aug 1899 at the Register Office, Swansea. Dates, ages and occupations all fit, but now I have her father’s name. Daniel Evans and  Catherine Ann Boswell were both Licensed Hawkers living in the Travelling Van, Dyfatty Street, Swansea. His father, Edwin Evans being Basket Maker (Master) and her father, William Boswell a Showman. Witnesses: Edwin Evans and Delinda Elizabeth Tracy.

Both living in the van would be right as by then, all four of their children had been born.

They may not have actually married, but can anyone find a marriage between William Boswell and Ellen Williams? Being travellers, it could be anywhere, though probably in Wales.

Offline AdelleG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm really sorry to bother you, my mum is trying to find about her father's side of the family and everything is matching up to this Aaron Evans? Can whoever has been looking into this, please message me and help me with this

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 14 February 21 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi AdelleG,
Firstly, welcome to RootsChat. We are unable to exchange Private Messages until you have posted 3 times. I have been looking into the Evans family mainly as Aran married Martha Jane Williams and she was my grandfather's sister. In records, he is spelt Aran or Aron, never Aaron. He is from a travelling family, his father being Daniel Evans and mother Catherine nee. Boswell. His grandfather was Edwin Evans who married Subie Lee. If this is the right family, place 2 more brief messages and then we can PM each other. Sorry for the delay in responding, but I am looking at other areas, though the same families.

Offline AdelleG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 14 February 21 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me

Offline AdelleG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 14 February 21 15:42 GMT (UK) »
My mother was only told very brief things about her father. Everything she was told, I have read on this forum, so Im thinking that it must be the same man. Her mother is buried along with Aaron near where we live.
We have sent for a family search, Carmarthenshire office has contacted us recently to say that they have found things about him and have sent them in the post. So we are eagerly awaiting that.