Author Topic: John Henry BASTIAN. Born 1830. Able Seaman  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Henry BASTIAN. Born 1830. Able Seaman
« on: Sunday 16 June 19 22:04 BST (UK) »
JHB was baptised on 17 October 1830, St Keverne, Cornwall. Parents John and Jane.

His father, John, was buried on 3 May 1832. His mother, Jane, married George Gardener Pashbee on September 1835.

In 1849, as Henry Bastian, Able Seaman, on board H M S Inconstant, JHB made an allotment to his mother, Jane Pashbee.

On 20 Jan 1848 HMS Inconstant had set sail from Plymouth for New Zealand. The following day George Pashbee was a member of the crew of HMS Archeron which also sailed from Plymouth for New Zealand. George failed to make the return trip and was buried in Wellington, N Z in Feb 1850.

I am looking for help to discover further details of JHB's Naval career and for information about his life after he left the service. This is all I know of him so any little snippet or suggestion will be appreciated.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: John Henry BASTIAN. Born 1830. Able Seaman
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 June 19 15:57 BST (UK) »
Ship named ACHERON not Archeron
First off the vessels logbooks. RN Logbooks were primarily navigation records but worth looking at to see if there was any information of the cause of his demise.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=Acheron&_cr=adm 53&_dss=range&_sd=1850&_ed=1850&_ro=any&_st=a

Scroll down to "3" Individual records before 1853 are very patchy.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-navy-ratings-further-research/#3-sources-for-men-entering-1667-1853

Also
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16509936

And http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-navy-ratings-pensions/

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 June 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for you suggestions, Seaweed.

I have been unsuccessfully looking for details of him on line. Clearly I am going to have to dig more deeply.

It was finding details of his allotment to his mother that set me on the trail of JHB.That is the only reference I have found to him  after 1841. I wonder if he suffered from a premature death, possibly overseas, or if he emigrated. With Bastian being a name that is so susceptible to mis recording or mis transcribing, searching for him is fraught with difficulties which are compounded if he alternated between John  and Henry.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you can get to the National Archives @ Kew your best bet is to look at the Muster Book for HMS Inconstant ( https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C770403 ) and particularly the Description Book section. This will provide a physical description and a list of all his previous ships prior to joining Inconstant. The Ship's Number from the allotment books will mean this is very quick to do.

You can do the same thing for George Pashbee.

Martin

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 20:15 BST (UK) »
I notice from the baptismal record of John Henry Bastian, bap. St. Keverne, residence is given as "Town of Falmouth"

There's a John Hy Bastian, Mariner, born Falmouth, on the 1871 Census - ref RG10  2293  9 10. However, age is 49, giving a year of birth c.1822

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 June 19 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you can get to the National Archives @ Kew your best bet is to look at the Muster Book for HMS Inconstant ( https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C770403 ) and particularly the Description Book section. This will provide a physical description and a list of all his previous ships prior to joining Inconstant. The Ship's Number from the allotment books will mean this is very quick to do.

You can do the same thing for George Pashbee.

Martin

Many thanks, Martin. That is most helpful.
Unfortunately I am unable to visit TNA personally but I have taken advantage of their on-line search and supply service. Now I just have to wait!

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 June 19 06:23 BST (UK) »
I notice from the baptismal record of John Henry Bastian, bap. St. Keverne, residence is given as "Town of Falmouth"

There's a John Hy Bastian, Mariner, born Falmouth, on the 1871 Census - ref RG10  2293  9 10. However, age is 49, giving a year of birth c.1822

Thanks, H T, for reminding me of the Falmouth connection.

I will check out the census reference but my first reaction is that it is unlikely to be my man. There were a lot of sea-faring Bastians around at that time!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 June 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
Another possible?

1891 Census
Scilly St Mary
Francis Wood,81, Head, Widr, Farmer, born Cornwall St Mary Scilly
John Bastian, 57, Son in Law, Mar, Retired Master Mariner, born Cornwall Falmouth**
Annie Wood, 52, Daug, Mar, born Cornwall St Mary Scilly
Image is Annie Bastian

1881 Census
Francis Wood   71
John Bastian   47
Annie Bastian   42

1871 Census
Francis Wood   61
Annie Bastian   32

Marriage seems to be reg 1863 Scilly Islands

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 June 19 13:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry not him Marriage is on FreeREG, Father GEORGE a Coastguard
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)