Author Topic: Cooletegal Longford  (Read 1654 times)

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cooletegal Longford
« on: Sunday 16 June 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
I have found a number of church records on rootsireland for Newtowncashel parish in Longford that show that the address is Cooletegar. I am unable to find a townland with that name in Longford.

But, I did a search of the Tithe Applotment Books and located a townland named “Cooletegal” that had some of the same surnames that were in the church records.  I believe this is probably the same place.

Does anyone know what the current townland name for Cooletegal is?
Many thanks in advance!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cooletegal Longford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 June 19 23:09 BST (UK) »
It's not listed for that parish on Irish Ancestors
https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=1644&county=&civilparish=Cashel
I wonder if it could be Cullentragh.
You would need a full list of the applotment townlands to compare.
Some townlands got adsorbed into others, so there may not be a modern version, it simply may not exist anymore.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 15:56 BST (UK) »
There is a difference in the number of townlands in the Tithe Applotment list vs the Griffiths list. It seems that there are more townlands post-Griffiths. Cullentragh is one of them.

I’ll have to do some more digging. Thanks for your interest!
 :)

Offline PaddyM95

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 03:49 BST (UK) »
"Cooletegell" (probably Cúil an tSeagail, corner of the rye) is shown on Sir James Ware's map of Rathcline barony at http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/unvbrit/b/zoomify82827.html. The map is oriented west-east rather than north-south, but "Cooletegell" is located north of "Aghavadans alias Aghalowgan" and "Calraghmore".

Looking at a modern map such as the GSGS 3906 series at https://maps.openstreetmap.ie/, we can see Aghavadden and Caltragh More townlands lying to the east and west of Lightfield (which corresponds to "Aghaloghan" on the Ware map). The townland of Aghnacross lies to the north of these three, but looking at the Ware map, it seems to have been divided in the early 17th century between Aghavadden and Caltragh More. To the north of Aghnacross is Greenhall Upper, which seems to correspond to "Cooletegell" and the southern part of "Ballingortin" on the Ware map.

Hope this is of some help.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 16:50 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, PaddyM95   :)

This link gives the location of Aughanacross townland and the surrounding townlands.

https://www.townlands.ie/longford/rathcline/cashel/cashel-west/aghnacross/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 July 19 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this! I was trying to determine if Cooletegal was near to Carrowdunican and Aghavadden where my grandfather comes from.  And now it turns out that it may actually be part of Aghavadden or at least located directly next door. Appreciate your research!
Regards
auntie
 :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 July 19 22:28 BST (UK) »
Pity I didn't know names of people, last week I was talking to the man in Cashel who has all the Burial records for the Cemetery and Maps of where everyone is Buried.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.