Author Topic: Bessie Shirran & Alfred James Green, Chatham, Kent County, Ontario  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bessie Shirran & Alfred James Green, Chatham, Kent County, Ontario
« on: Monday 17 June 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
Bessie Shirran & Alfred James Green married on 30th August 1929 in Chatham, Kent County, Ontario.
Bessie passed away in 1956 & was buried in Mayhew Mount Pleasant in Kent County with her husband who had pre-deceased her in 1948.
Their marriage record shows the groom's name as Alfred James Green but he is named as James Alfred Green upon their headstone.

Bessie Shirran is an ancestor who was actually named Elizabeth Haycock born in Birmingham, England & was sent out to Canada as a Middlemore Homes Child. Fortunately for her she was taken into the home of the Shirran family who "adopted" her & she became known as Bessie Shirran being shown on census entries etc as Bessie Shirran, daughter.

I would love to learn more about Bessie & of her life especially if she ever had offspring but being based in England makes research difficult.
If anyone has Bessie within their tree or can help point me in the right direction to learn more i would be most grateful.
I have been able to research Elizabeth Haycock & her family in Birmingham amassing a collection of records which I would be happy to share with distant connections.

With Many Thanks.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bessie Shirran & Alfred James Green, Chatham, Kent County, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 16:52 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage record? 

She was a teacher and he was an egg candler both living in Thamesville, Kent County, Ontario.  Neither had previously married.

So far no records such as voters lists to add to the life after marriage.

The 1891 Census reports her birthplace as Scotland, possibly because her adoptive parents were from Scotland.  The 1901 census lists her birth as 28 Oct 1878 and  her age is listed as 22.  Arrival 1886.  Occupation Organest

No success fining a photo of her marker.

There are several trees on An**** and a private one that reports her birth name so possibly something there.  I have tried to reach out to owner to ask for additional information but there seems to be a technical issue.  Will try later.
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both for looking at my post & helping me.
Your help is very much appreciated.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 18:44 BST (UK) »
I think that by the time she married she would have been too old to have had children of her own? It appears she was perhaps a wee bit older than the stated age on the marriage record?

I don't know whether you have seen this record (linked below)? It states under notes that Bessie was visited by her brothers in 1894 which suggests they may also have been Home Children, although they apparently weren't on the same ship as Bessie was. Have you been able to trace them? They may have had offspring?

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/immigration-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=168757

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 18:57 BST (UK) »
Bessie and James are elusive................

A few snippets you may or may not have.................on the brothers..........

There was a marriage of a Samuel Haycock to Annie Schram - 31 October 1899 Wallacetown, Ontario, Canada.

1901 census Elgin Ontario

Samuel Haycock 30 born England.  11 April 1870.  Imm 1882 - Farm Labourer.
Annie Haycock   33
Bessie M Haycock 3 months.

1911 Elgin Ontario

Samual Haycock   40
Annie Haycock   44
Bessie May Haycock   20

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 18:59 BST (UK) »
The death record says Samuel Haycock was born in Birmingham - 11 April 1869 - died 12 December 1947 Dutton Elgin Ontario. Aged 78 years  ???

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 19:27 BST (UK) »
Also a Benjamin Haycock  born about 1876 and aged 29 years married  Jane May Ennist 17 May 1905
Muskoka District, Muskoka, Ontario. Parents Samuel and Elizabeth Haycock.

Benj Haycock born 1872  appeared on a Canadian Passenger List 19 June 1881 - Liverpool to Quebec on the Parisian.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 19:28 BST (UK) »

Benjamin Haycock - 13 March 1871 England - aged 74 years died 27 September 1945 Huntsville Muskoka Ontario
Father Samuel Haycock - Spouse Eliza Willden.

Sandra