Author Topic: Genetic Memory?  (Read 9313 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Genetic Memory?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 16:42 BST (UK) »
"I can't answer how it may work but memories are neuropathways in the brain.  These pathways involve literal paths of neurones and release of neurotransmitters."

Well, sure, but so what?  The question is, how could some idea in a brain change the genetic code of a germ cell?  What would be the physical mechanism that would impart, let's say, a fondness for the name Emily into the DNA?

It's the Emily gene, silly.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 16:56 BST (UK) »
Don't know about inheriting things like interest in Gypsy life ( which was where we started) but some talents and skills must have an inherited factor. My mother had ability , pre-war, in Art, and started Art School until the War intervened. My grandfather on the paternal side did many murals in posh ballrooms and hotels, as part of a family business ... so I must've inherited the genes for Design from both sides. There were also a couple of full-time Artists dotted around on both sides a lot further back...
But nuture - my mother - meant that as a small child Art materials and help were available, so it's not surprising that I ended up, despite being "good at" many other areas, doing a Design based career.
Probably those very genes ensured I was observant, and had good colour vision and great motor control and manual dexterity, and helped my development in Design based studies, rather more than that I was channeling the early 19th C Artists in our family background!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
We are looking at this from the wrong angle, if we can pass on physical characteristics from one generation to another, if we can pass on purely intellectual gifts like artistry or mathematics, then it is only logical to assume that memories also can be passed on from one generation to the next

Maybe someone should prove that we cannot, rather than seek to explain why we can

Mike

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:16 BST (UK) »
"only logical to assume that memories also can be passed on from one generation to the next"

Of course memories are passed from generation to generation.  The mechanism for their transmission is the spoken and written word.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:32 BST (UK) »
Maybe someone should prove that we cannot, rather than seek to explain why we can

Mike

That's not how science works.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:39 BST (UK) »

It's the Emily gene, silly.

:) :) :)
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:42 BST (UK) »

Mike

I assume then that a pure maths degree means I am not a scientist

Mike

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:51 BST (UK) »

Mike

I assume then that a pure maths degree means I am not a scientismike

I assume it means you're a mathematician.  Which reminds me of a joke that you may have heard before.

Q.  How do you tell the difference between a mathematician, a scientist and an engineer?

A.  Ask them what 2 plus 2 is.   
The mathematician will say, without hesitation, "Four"
The scientist will say "All the evidence points toward it being four"
The engineer will say "Let's call it six to be on the safe side"

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 17:59 BST (UK) »
I think you need a statistician for that "proof", not a mathematician.

However if you were to ask a mathematician what 2+2 is, (going by my daughter's degree work) it would take 3 pages of proofs, and at least 20 minutes.

I personally don't believe that "memories" are genetically inheritable.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.