Author Topic: Looking for my great grandmother's birth  (Read 2302 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for my great grandmother's birth
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 June 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Caroline does reappear in 1936 with her daughter Ada (you may know this!)
On the electoral register at 41 Pulross Road, Brixton/Stockwell area
Ada Louisa Hitchen
William Alfred Hitchen
Caroline Ersy Penney
+ three others.

Caroline wasn't with them in 1935, she isn't with them in 1937!
But, in 1937 she is at 11 Stockwell Green (Caroline Penney)
Still there in 1938 (Caroline Ersy Penney)
Gone in 1939, but I think she must be the Caroline Penny at 23 Moat Place, which is just the other side of Stockwell Road from the previous address.

I have looked up all those addresses in the you know what in 1939, and no Caroline. Can't find Ada and her husband either!
So it is very disappointing. She may have been one of those missed on the night and done shortly afterwards, but we can't see those people online.

Her age is very consistent in the census, 22 in 1881, then 32, then 42, and age 82 on her death in 1941. If in 1881 it says she was born in Limehouse, then I would not rule out the Caroline Hurst Webb that you mentioned. Baptized in Limehouse in 1859. Illegitimate daughter of Caroline, I think it says she was born 11 March 1859. No birth registration? I've no idea what became of her!

Offline Danielle98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 June 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again John. Your help has been invaluable. What an amazing amount of new information you’ve given me. Why she went to Launceston is anyone’s guess at the moment but there is that connection with Redruth which i’ll try and explore a bit more.The last known address on her death certificate was King Arthur’s Arms Hotel in Tintagel, Camelford. I contacted them several years ago but for some reason they didn’t want to answer my questions and fobbed me off. Admittedly she died in 1941 so the chances of anyone alive now knowing her are slim. All my uncles and aunts have passed away now and a cousin who is 80 knows nothing about her. I’ll just have to find some more living relatives to ask .....

Offline Danielle98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 June 19 19:49 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find her on the 1939 Register. I thought she may have been living with her daughter Ada but I can't find her either.

Offline Danielle98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 June 19 19:52 BST (UK) »
This message is for JonW65
Can you tell me what records you looked at to find where my great grandmother was living please. Thank you.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 June 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Danielle
The addresses for Caroline come from the London electoral registers (1832-1965) on ancestry.
It is annoying that they can't help find her in the 39 Register, and we still have the mystery of what she was up to in the thirty years or so before 1936!
John

Offline Danielle98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 June 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks John. Yes absolutely. She still remains a bit of a mystery. I can't understand why she was in Launceston in 1941 when she was with her daughter Ada in London just a few years earlier. One of Ada's daughters is still alive so I think I will send her a letter and see if she can shed any light on this. I've only met her once and that was a few years ago. She didn't mention anything about her grandmother to me then so fingers crossed....

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 July 19 03:52 BST (UK) »
I have looked up all those addresses in the you know what in 1939, and no Caroline. Can't find Ada and her husband either!

Ada and her husband and daughter are in Carshalton, Surrey.  Indexed twice as the record was transferred and the daughter's name is wrong on one of them.

Debra  :)

Offline Danielle98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 July 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Debra. Appreciate your help. Is there only one daughter as my great aunt Ada had twin girls, Doreen and Daphne. They would have been about 4/5. I'll ask my brother to check this out as he subscribes to FindMyPast but didn't have any luck finding them....

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 July 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
Well done, Debra.

Indexed twice as the record was transferred and the daughter's name is wrong on one of them.

Well done twice!