Author Topic: Alexander Duncan Ellis (Golfer )  (Read 2234 times)

Offline nmcasey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Duncan Ellis (Golfer )
« on: Monday 17 June 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the burial place of "Alexander Duncan Ellis  (Golfer )" he died in 1922 he was recorded on inscription on a UK heads stone as been buried in 1922 "Hamilton, Essex, Massachusetts"

Alexander Duncan Ellis  (Golfer ) in some census in the United states as a "Golf Instructor"

Regards
Nc

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Duncan Ellis (Golfer )
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 00:33 BST (UK) »
Alexander Duncan Ellis

when applying for a passport in November 1921, he said he lived in North Chelmsford and was going to England for four months to visit his mother. North Chelmsford is in Middlesex County

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV5Y-764J

-----------
His son Alexander is buried in Central Cemetery, Beverly, Essex County.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/97766429/alexander-ellis

That is one place you could look.
I didn't see wife Emily, daughter Emily, or son Thomas at findagrave.

--------------
His death might be registered in Chelmsford and maybe Lowell. I have a feeling the death would be registered in Massachusetts even if he died in England. Did he, while visiting his mother?:

Alexander D Ellis Chelmsford 1922 Vol 13 page 241
Alexander D Ellis Lowell 1922 Vol 41 page 172

found at ancestry. it doesn't look like the image of the record itself is online yet

If they are not the same man, then Chelmsford is the more likely, since he lived there in 1921.

I don't remember if a Massachusetts death record lists the place of burial. Deal with the town first, they are usually cheaper than the state. Unless the record has gone to the state archives, which you can find out by asking them.

------
There should be an obituary in a local paper. Chelmsford library would probably be helpful.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 00:38 BST (UK) »

Did he [die], while visiting his mother?:

No, UK outward bound passengers say he, wife Emily, and daughter Emily left Liverpool in April 1921.

The tree I am looking at gives an exact date of death of 4 May 1922 in Hamilton Mass., but only points to the Mass Death Index, which only gives the year, as a source.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 00:43 BST (UK) »
He died May 4, 1922 at the Lowell General Hospital. He was taken to the hospital on  May 3rd suffering with an attack of pneumonia and grippe. He was professional golfer for Vesper Country Club.

The articles don't mention a place of burial.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 00:47 BST (UK) »
I don't remember if a Massachusetts death record lists the place of burial.

I looked at a few Mass. death records from my wife's family from that time frame, and yes, they do record the cemetery. So with the exact date of death you should be able to turn up an obituary or the death record without much of a problem.

Edit: I posted this before reading RJ137's post above, which eliminates the obituary as a possibility. You still have the death record.

Offline nmcasey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 06:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help I know he was in England but he cam Back to USA before March of that year.

Regards
Nc

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 10:53 BST (UK) »
from their PDF
The archives has the record, they are working to put 1921 to 1925 on line but meanwhile they are available by mail.

https://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcpdf/Notice-Concerning-Vital-Records-1921-1925.pdf

from their site:

The Archives currently hold births, marriages, and deaths for all Massachusetts cities and towns for the years 1841 through 1925.

The cost for certified vital records is $3.00. Researchers can pay by cash or check made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Please include individual checks for $3.00US for each certificate requested. If we are unable to locate any of the record(s) you have requested, we will return your payment for those records.

The address for requesting certified vital records is:
Massachusetts Archives
220 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston MA 02125
ATTN: Certified Vitals
Orders take approximately two weeks to process. 

https://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcvitalrecords/vitalrecordsidx.htm

$3.00 apiece is the best bargain I've seen for vital records, except free.

Offline sbellew

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Daughter Emily Ellis (married named Tozier) was my grandmother.  She is buried in Hamilton, MA.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 20:48 GMT (UK) »
RJ:
His funeral details are in the Lowell Sun, 8 May 1922, page 28, column 1:  Funeral Services at St. Anne's.
Buried, 7 May 1922
My newspaper is too light to read, maybe you have a better copy.  It does say that he was buried in Hamilton down at the bottom of the article.