Author Topic: Maurice Bermingham of Brohal, Esq.  (Read 2559 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maurice Bermingham of Brohal, Esq.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 11:32 BST (UK) »
Quite elderly!   ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Hallmark!  I was wondering if someone may have transcribed the grave before the piece broke off, but all I could find was the snippet view of a book published in like 1913, which did not let me see the end of the transcription.   I did not realize it was so close to the Bermingham crypt.

I have some relatives in Dublin.  Maybe, I can convince one to go to the library.

I had thought there was probably a local connection since there were Berminghams in Dunfierth and in Johnston Bridge, in the calender of wills.  I wonder if some of those may have moved from Broughal.  That is interesting that at least one of the local ones was considered a rebel.

That record of lease is really a great find!  I'm still trying to read it and make sense of it.  I wish there were a typed version.  One thing I seem to notice is that it mentions Tully and my GGG grandfather, also named Pat Dempsey, lived in Tully for a short time, after he was married, at least in 1821-1822.  Since, it would seem kind of a random place otherwise, different Catholic parish than the two separate ones where he and his wife were presumed born, I would say that it is probably significant.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Dathai!  That marriage record is a great find, I guess if they married in 1706, that would mean that Mary could have easily been a mother to the Patt Dempsey born about 1709 or 1710.

Do I understand right that they couldn't be officially married in a Catholic church at that time?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Hallmark!  I was wondering if someone may have transcribed the grave before the piece broke off, but all I could find was the snippet view of a book published in like 1913, which did not let me see the end of the transcription.  I did not realize it was so close to the Bermingham crypt.

I have some relatives in Dublin.  Maybe, I can convince one to go to the library.

I had thought there was probably a local connection since there were Berminghams in Dunfierth and in Johnston Bridge, in the calender of wills.  I wonder if some of those may have moved from Broughal.  That is interesting that at least one of the local ones was considered a rebel.

That record of lease is really a great find!  I'm still trying to read it and make sense of it.  I wish there were a typed version.  One thing I seem to notice is that it mentions Tully and my GGG grandfather, also named Pat Dempsey, lived in Tully for a short time, after he was married, at least in 1821-1822.  Since, it would seem kind of a random place otherwise, different Catholic parish than the two separate ones where he and his wife were presumed born, I would say that it is probably significant.

If it was any nearer they'd be related!   ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hanes, I didn't know they started that young.  Maybe, I have more ancestors than I thought.  Hope nothing bad happened to them.  Seems churlish to tell on folks that young.

Hallmark, I'm thinking if I ever get a tombstone, I will specify that if it goes over, it will be close enough to a wall where it can just tip slightly over and lean against it.  This one seems to be in fairly good condition, all things considered, but I have seen another old Dempsey grave in the area, which seems to have like 3/4 of the stone missing.  I don't know how that is even possible.  Here it is: http://www.enfieldgraveyards.com/Gravestone.aspx?GravestoneID=1533

I think it is actually the Anne Dempsy mentioned in the book to which you linked. Since it seems to say "viscount" on it.  Now that I think of it, I wonder if the English might have purposefully broken it.  BTW, that is quite an interesting book.  I think I will have to spend more time studying it, but I note a few things of uncertain significance:

Luke and Terrence were family names in the Dempsey line.  In the book, there was mention of a Dominick Quinn, who was brother-in-law.  Not sure how common the name Dominick was, but there was a Dominick Dempsey who was a parish priest of nearby Ballyna.  Also, an earlier Louis Dempsey priest and prelate there.  I'm not sure how he was related but there was a Rev. Luke Dominick Dempsey, who died in 1868.  One of his executors was a son of my GGG grandfather, also named Luke. 

That is interesting about the guy named Charles Dempsey.  I wonder if there is any chance that is the Charles Dempsey mentioned as being the father of Pat in the lease.  In the book, a Fitzgerald was mentioned as probably being the uncle of Charles Dempsey, and Pat Dempsey seems to have bought his land from a Fitzgerald.  But maybe that is coincidence.  I don't suppose Charles would have an address and be called a farmer if he were the same Charles, and maybe Pat's father was too old to be that adventuresome, at that time.  But I wonder...