Author Topic: Joyce Curzon ( Mrs Lewes ) : Lichfield Marian Martyr  (Read 150 times)

Offline AnthonyRYates

• RootsChat Extra
  • G-G-G-G-G-Grandson of Dr Thomas Kirkland
    • View Profile
Joyce Curzon ( Mrs Lewes ) : Lichfield Marian Martyr
« on: Tuesday 18 June 19 11:31 BST (UK) »
Must go to Lichfield soon to visit Erasmus Darwin House and also to find out more about my cousin Joyce Lewes ( nee Curzon ) who was burnt at the stake in Lichfield Mkt Place in Dec 1557 as a Protestant Martyr in the bad days of Bloody Queen Mary. ( there's a memorial to her in Mancetter Church , Atherstone ).

Is there a marker or plaque in the market place to Joyce or the martyrs in general ?  I found somewhere forgotten in the internet  a very blurry photo of a painting of Joyce at the stake in a white dress with Lichfield Cathedral behind.  Does anybody know where this painting is ? I'd like to take a better photo of it.

( Also have family links to Tamworth & Elford )  ----- Anthony , Leicester
Henry Rodwell Yates
Yates , Kirklands , Turviles and Haywoods in Leics,Derbys area.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joyce Curzon ( Mrs Lewes ) : Lichfield Marian Martyr
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 15:58 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Has anyone seen Henry Atcherson Carson,born Canada 1844?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Has anyone seen Henry Atcherson Carson,born Canada 1844?

Offline AnthonyRYates

• RootsChat Extra
  • G-G-G-G-G-Grandson of Dr Thomas Kirkland
    • View Profile
Re: Joyce Curzon ( Mrs Lewes ) : Lichfield Marian Martyr
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lots , Miss Hepburn ,

I knew the Revolvy stuff and have read Foxe's on cousin Joyce but the pic of the Mkt Place plaque is great , must look out for that when I visit Lichfield ( last time was 1977 ! )

... Anthony , Leicester
Henry Rodwell Yates
Yates , Kirklands , Turviles and Haywoods in Leics,Derbys area.