Author Topic: Joyce Curzon ( Mrs Lewes ) : Lichfield Marian Martyr  (Read 739 times)

Offline AnthonyRYates

• RootsChat Extra
  • G-G-G-G-G-Grandson of Dr Thomas Kirkland
    • View Profile
Joyce Curzon ( Mrs Lewes ) : Lichfield Marian Martyr
« on: Tuesday 18 June 19 11:31 BST (UK) »
Must go to Lichfield soon to visit Erasmus Darwin House and also to find out more about my cousin Joyce Lewes ( nee Curzon ) who was burnt at the stake in Lichfield Mkt Place in Dec 1557 as a Protestant Martyr in the bad days of Bloody Queen Mary. ( there's a memorial to her in Mancetter Church , Atherstone ).

Is there a marker or plaque in the market place to Joyce or the martyrs in general ?  I found somewhere forgotten in the internet  a very blurry photo of a painting of Joyce at the stake in a white dress with Lichfield Cathedral behind.  Does anybody know where this painting is ? I'd like to take a better photo of it.

( Also have family links to Tamworth & Elford )  ----- Anthony , Leicester
Henry Rodwell Yates
Yates , Kirklands , Turviles and Haywoods in Leics,Derbys area.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joyce Curzon ( Mrs Lewes ) : Lichfield Marian Martyr
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 15:58 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline AnthonyRYates

• RootsChat Extra
  • G-G-G-G-G-Grandson of Dr Thomas Kirkland
    • View Profile
Re: Joyce Curzon ( Mrs Lewes ) : Lichfield Marian Martyr
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lots , Miss Hepburn ,

I knew the Revolvy stuff and have read Foxe's on cousin Joyce but the pic of the Mkt Place plaque is great , must look out for that when I visit Lichfield ( last time was 1977 ! )

... Anthony , Leicester
Henry Rodwell Yates
Yates , Kirklands , Turviles and Haywoods in Leics,Derbys area.