Author Topic: Junkin family of County Antrim  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Junkin family of County Antrim
« on: Tuesday 18 June 19 14:15 BST (UK) »
Seeking help surmounting a proverbial brick wall. My great grandfather, Joseph Junkin was born in County Antrim, Ireland, United Kingdom on 12 May 1863. Arrived in the U.S. in 1882. Died in Catasauqua, Pennsylvania on 12 June 1940. From his death certificate, I have his parents' names, James Junkin and Margaret Ballantine. I have found a Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) record showing a James Junkin in Ardnaglass, Grange of Ballyscullion, Antrim. On the same record a Mary Junkin is shown residing next to a Robert Ballantine. I assume Mary to be a daughter and sibling of my great grandfather, and Robert Ballantine perhaps her grandfather, his father in law.

So, I believe I am onto something. Lastly, from a parish historian in nearby County Derry, I was provided a record of a gravestone inscription that reads …

ERECTED BY MARGRET JUNKIN, U.S.A. IN MEMORY OF HER FATHER JAMES JUNKIN, DIED 2ND FEB. 1872, AGED 49 YEARS. AND HER MOTHER MARGARET, DIED 3RD DEC. 1886, AGED 76 YEARS. ALSO HER SISTER MARY, DIED 27TH DEC. 1932, AGED 76 YEARS.

… Unfortunately, the parish historian could net tell me where this gravestone was found. My great great aunt Margaret came to the U.S around the turn of the century to help my widowed great grandfather raise his four children and four orphaned nephews. So, I am confident the gravestone refers to my family.

In terms of other documents, I do have a civil death record for a James Junken, recording his death in 1872 in the Ballymena recording district.

If you have read this far, thank you. My request is for any assistance furthering my record of the Junkin family lineage in County Antrim and earlier. Thank you!

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Junkin family of County Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is this   http://www.thebraid.com/genealogy.aspx
Cathy

Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
Searching on the link provided by cath151 brings up 2 Junkin headstones in Grange Cemetery- the one you've posted and this one-
ERECTED By Andrew Junkin, Ardnaglass, in memory of his Father WILLIAM JUNKIN, who departed this life 11th Sept 1840; aged 47 years. Also, of his mother MARY JUNKIN, who departed this life 10th July 1862; aged 68 years.

So, starting with this one-
ERECTED BY MARGRET JUNKIN, U.S.A. IN MEMORY OF HER FATHER JAMES JUNKIN, DIED 2ND FEB. 1872, AGED 49 YEARS. AND HER MOTHER, MARGARET, DIED 3RD DEC. 1886, AGED 76 YEARS. ALSO HER SISTER, MARY, DIED 27TH DEC. 1932, AGED 76 YEARS.

Death of Margaret Junkin- actually 1896 NOT 1886- age 74 on death certificate- either transcription error or mistake on headstone- informant was daughter Elizabeth McKay of Ardnaglass-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05885/4669256.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 15:07 BST (UK) »
Can t seem to place the Grange cemetery unfortunately :(
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 15:11 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Junkin married Andrew McKay-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11146/8082558.pdf

'Grange' possibly Ballyscullion Grange?

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 15:14 BST (UK) »
Death for a Thomas James Junkin in 1886 (Grandmother Margaret Junkin informant)

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06227/4781950.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 15:19 BST (UK) »
A Sarah Junkin, daughter of James, married 1866-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGYQ-4R81
(certificate not yet online)

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile