Author Topic: Junkin family of County Antrim  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Junkin family of County Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you all and most sincerely. I am not skilled at genealogy and have been very frustrated for almost two years with little or no progress regarding my Mother's Irish family. In the past twenty four hours on this message board, I have found substantial information regarding my great grandparents, Joseph and Mary (Leake) Junkin. I can't overstate how much I appreciate your kindness and this resource. Now, to start saving for a trip to visit the places I've discovered!

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
Can t seem to place the Grange cemetery unfortunately :(
Cathy

Thanks, Cathy! I believe it is the Grange Presbyterian Church in Toomebridge, Antrim. The Irish political boundaries and geography is so baffling to me! Townlands, civil parishes, baronies, poor unions, counties, provinces ...

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 16:18 BST (UK) »
Searching on the link provided by cath151 brings up 2 Junkin headstones in Grange Cemetery- the one you've posted and this one-
ERECTED By Andrew Junkin, Ardnaglass, in memory of his Father WILLIAM JUNKIN, who departed this life 11th Sept 1840; aged 47 years. Also, of his mother MARY JUNKIN, who departed this life 10th July 1862; aged 68 years.

So, starting with this one-
ERECTED BY MARGRET JUNKIN, U.S.A. IN MEMORY OF HER FATHER JAMES JUNKIN, DIED 2ND FEB. 1872, AGED 49 YEARS. AND HER MOTHER, MARGARET, DIED 3RD DEC. 1886, AGED 76 YEARS. ALSO HER SISTER, MARY, DIED 27TH DEC. 1932, AGED 76 YEARS.

Death of Margaret Junkin- actually 1896 NOT 1886- age 74 on death certificate- either transcription error or mistake on headstone- informant was daughter Elizabeth McKay of Ardnaglass-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05885/4669256.pdf

Thank you! I have some work to do regarding that second, and to me previously unknown, headstone inscription. I'm confident these are more relatives, as my grandfather was named Andrew, and it seems the same names crop up frequently through the genrations!

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 18:29 BST (UK) »
Searching on the link provided by cath151 brings up 2 Junkin headstones in Grange Cemetery- the one you've posted and this one-

ERECTED By Andrew Junkin, Ardnaglass, in memory of his Father WILLIAM JUNKIN, who departed this life 11th Sept 1840; aged 47 years. Also, of his mother MARY JUNKIN, who departed this life 10th July 1862; aged 68 years.

Considering these potential new family members as I go, and it occurs to me (strictly a guess) that they could be the parents of my great great grandfather James Junkin, and Andrew could be his brother. My great great grandfather James Junkin was born around 1823 (based on the other gravestone inscription), so the "generational time frame" is realistic. Of course, I realize the importance of documentation and will not immediately add to my ancestry.com hosted family tree, but just the feeling that I am onto something here is most exciting. Thanks again to all.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 18:42 BST (UK) »
Some children of James Hamil & Sarah Junkin-
Mary (1867) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP8X-4MFK
William (1868) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPYR-1L8
Peggy (1871) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPRW-HSX
John (1874) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FR3G-Q2P
Sarah (1879) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRMD-YJN

The above are just extracts. To view the actual certificates go to Irish Genealogy using Ballymena as the registration district.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 18:47 BST (UK) »
I will. Thanks!

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:20 BST (UK) »
So, just returned from a trip to eastern Europe and am anxious to continue my search.

I found the following Junkins listed online under Griffiths Valuation: Ballyscullion Grange Parish 1861 and 1862 …

Junkin, Alexander L: Gillistown
Junkin, Andrew   L: Gillistown
Junkin, James   L: Ardnaglass
Junkin, John   L: Mill Quarter
Junkin, Joseph   L: Gillistown
Junkin, Mary   L: Ardnaglass
Junkin, Robert   L: Gillistown

… Have learned that Ardnaglass and Gillistown are neighboring townlands. So, I assume Andrew may be the person who erected the gravestone to his parents (inscription provided in an earlier post).

Muddling my efforts slightly is that I have discovered an Andrew Junkins, shown on the 1880 US federal census as living a few doors from my great, great uncle Hugh Leake (brother of my great grandmother, Mary (Leake) Junkin) in Hokendaqua, Pennnsylvania, USA, and appearing directly behind him in an 1888 picture from the Thomas Iron Works, also in "Hokey". Is this the same Andrew Junkin/Junkins? Further leading me to believe there is a connection is that my grandfather was named Andrew Junkin and there seems to be a lot of honoring of fathers and brothers among naming conventions in the family.

I'm sure upon re-reading this post, it will be a confusing mess, but as I said, I do wish to take up the chase. Thanks very much to all who have already helped!

Offline Bill Haas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:27 BST (UK) »

… Thomas Iron Company workers, Hokendauqua, PA 1888. #48 is Hugh Leake (brother of my great grandmother) and #35 is Andrew Junkins.