Author Topic: James L. Dobbins Family - New York  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Sockelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James L. Dobbins Family - New York
« on: Tuesday 18 June 19 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping for some clarify, as this has been bugging me a little bit. I've been trying to cross reference and expand my family tree and found some pretty solid information regarding James' children but kind of went down a rabbit hole when I was trying to research his supposed family. I forget where, but it might have been early in building my tree, but I could have sworn I found some correlation between James and them. I kept finding relatives in Cortland / Erie, NY and built my tree off of that, but going back, there's some potential discrepancies that I'm not 100% sure if its human error, or if they people who've posted it are wrong. This was before I in-depth fact checked and added family trees if certain details lined up, so I know better now a days. Currently, I'm not sure I can find where I found the original information that led me down this road.

My question is if there's any records that line up Jame's being related to the individuals from Cortland / Erie NY. I'd rather pay for my early mistake and be wrong before building upon an incorrect tree (even though I've been getting great results from it)

James L. Dobbins (APR 1835 • County Cork, Ireland) - this is vague since I wasn't able to pinpoint the exact location of his birth - 11 JUN 1909 • New York, New York)

Married Mary A. Cryan (18 JUL 1837 • Ballycullane, Tintern, Wexford, Ireland -  6 SEP 1914 • Fulton, New York) Know her death date is accurate.

Jame's alleged parents:

Michael Dobbins  (MAY 1801 • Castledermot, Kildare, Ireland) - Unknown Death
Margaret Cremin (1806 • County Cork, Ireland - 29 APR 1853 • New York)

The Children I've come across sometimes have James in it, others do not. I'm not sure if there were more children based on what I was seeing currently:

Patrick Kerry Dobbins (MAR 1844 • County, Kilkenny, Ireland - 2 FEB 1915 • Homer, Cortland, New York, United States)
Mary Dobbins (1839 • Coolagarranroe, Burncourt, Co Tipperary, Ireland - Unk)
David Dobbins (1831 • Coolagarranroe, Burncourt, Co Tipperary, Ireland - Unk)

Any help would be appreciated if possible:

Thank you

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James L. Dobbins Family - New York
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 23:47 BST (UK) »
I knew I saw those names somewhere before. Have you seen this thread? I will take another look at it myself now, and see if it answers your questions.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806577.0

Edit to add:
After reading that thread, it looks like you do have the same birthplaces for James Dobbins and Mary Cryan. As for the rest of your question, just looking at it, I don't think a man from Kildare [Michael Dobbins] married a woman from Cork, then had children in 1) Tipperary, 2) Cork, 3) Tipperary, and 4) Kilkenny. Unless they were travelers, about whom I know nothing.

You are probably better off setting aside all the alleged connections and working back from what you know about James Dobbins in the States. Do the same for the Cortland people and see if the lines meet. The Cortland - Fulton connection is possible, since they aren't that far apart.

Do the people who posted the three alleged brothers know where they went? If to Fulton or Cortland, it might be more believable.

Those are just my first impressions, I will take a longer look at it.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 23:58 BST (UK) »
Are Sockelf and BingoBuster the same person?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 00:06 BST (UK) »
The Cortland - Fulton connection is possible, since they aren't that far apart.
Except that the Fulton man, John Dobbins was born in Cork and the Cortland man Patrick was said to be born in KIlkenny. Makes it difficult.

Offline Sockelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 00:10 BST (UK) »
Are Sockelf and BingoBuster the same person?

Sorry for the late reply! I have seen that thread actually. They're actuslly a relative of mine and we've been collaborating and I've based some of the said post. I've offered to help work on this side since I've had more time and they've been a bit busy on their end. Probably should have mentioned I was working on someone's behalf :p

Offline Sockelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 00:12 BST (UK) »
The Cortland - Fulton connection is possible, since they aren't that far apart.
Except that the Fulton man, John Dobbins was born in Cork and the Cortland man Patrick was said to be born in KIlkenny. Makes it difficult.

Understandable. I've been trying to check most of this afternoon to see if I could find any correlation or something I may have overlapped. Know it was a longshot but maybe I was overlooking something?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 00:25 BST (UK) »
this information is just as confusing, the parents marry in 1834 or so, but have a daughter b 1829. People dying all over the place in the US, but at least it might eliminate the Erie county connection to your family, since theirs includes a James b 1846 who died I forgot where. You'll need to click on the family members to get the whole story.

We know your James lived to adulthood, so it isn't like there were two sons named James in the one family.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/66691082/michael-dobbins

Sorry for being so "flip" (old US slang), I'm on a painkiller and haven't slept well in a week because of what it was prescribed for. Probably should get some rest and take a fresh look at this in the AM.

Offline Sockelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 01:09 BST (UK) »
this information is just as confusing, the parents marry in 1834 or so, but have a daughter b 1829. People dying all over the place in the US, but at least it might eliminate the Erie county connection to your family, since theirs includes a James b 1846 who died I forgot where. You'll need to click on the family members to get the whole story.

We know your James lived to adulthood, so it isn't like there were two sons named James in the one family.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/66691082/michael-dobbins

Sorry for being so "flip" (old US slang), I'm on a painkiller and haven't slept well in a week because of what it was prescribed for. Probably should get some rest and take a fresh look at this in the AM.

No worries and thanks. I'll reach out to my relative and see if they had anything on their end they may have forgot mentioning and I'll also keep poking too just incase its something obvious on my end. Hope you feel better!

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 01:30 BST (UK) »
I checked my Dobbins line from the South of Ireland. No Southern Irish and Northern Irish in those days. All ended up in Missouri. No New York.