Author Topic: William Dawes & Emily Archer  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Joe Costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Dawes & Emily Archer
« on: Wednesday 19 June 19 11:35 BST (UK) »
G'day All,

I am descended from William Dawes (1827-1875) & Emily Archer (Unknown DOB or Death) in NSW.

Allegedly married in 1851 when she was 17, location unknown.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hooroo for now,
Joe
Costello, Irvine, Cahill, Fleming, Allen, Hawke, Dyball, Dawes, Moss, Carruthers

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Dawes & Emily Archer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 12:11 BST (UK) »

NSW registry of BDM has his death in 1875 with his age  46 years, so born 1819. However no parents are listed so that information was probably unknown to the informant. He died at Carcoar NSW, near Bathurst.
Ancestry has some Criminal Court records for a William Dawes in 1871 at Bathhurst Gaol. Details are distressing so probably better if it is him, the info goes to you by PM.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Joe Costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 12:13 BST (UK) »
Yes please
Costello, Irvine, Cahill, Fleming, Allen, Hawke, Dyball, Dawes, Moss, Carruthers

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
Apologies.. misread across 2 lines and his charge was for larceny.
shume
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Joe Costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 12:19 BST (UK) »
No worries and thank you but still no info on her..........the plot thickens.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe,

What document provides you with the info you have shared about William and Emily?

Do you have a birth cert for their child who is your acestor,  if so what year, which colony, and what other info is on that document?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Joe Costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 13:14 BST (UK) »
G'day,

Essentially the info provided was from a family historian who has since passed away.  It's a brick wall that I think she have up on.  I have William's Death Cert for 1875 and that he died of Consumption.  No birth certificate but I did find the family in the 1828 NSW Census.  Nothing on their marriage or births or her death.  Trying to fill gaps.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 15:05 BST (UK) »
Joe, if your lass was 17 in 1851,  she will not be found in the 1828 NSW Census.   Who was  your ancestor whose parents were William Dawes and Emily Archer?   From your 1875 NSW dc showing cause as Consumption,  what info about his marriage, spouse, children?

Shume,  re your post ....

NSW registry of BDM has his death in 1875 with his age  46 years, so born 1819. However no parents are listed so that information was probably unknown to the informant. He died at Carcoar NSW, near Bathurst.
Ancestry has some Criminal Court records for a William Dawes in 1871 at Bathhurst Gaol. Details are distressing so probably better if it is him, the info goes to you by PM.

1875 minus 46 does not give 1819.   :D  :D  :D

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 June 19 02:04 BST (UK) »
According to an entry in a computer listing from Cowra Family History Group, a William DAWES died 25 Nov 1875 at age 46 years. Born NSW, Died Carcoar, Buried Carcoar.

According to an online tree, a William DAWES  born 12 August 1827, Castlereagh, Victoria died 12 November 1875, Carcoar New South Wales.   I wonder if that tree owner knew that Castlereagh is still in NSW….   Anyway, according to that online tree, he married Emily ARCHER (or HOUGHTON, HARPER, JENKINS) in 1854, and they had two children….    These were Emily Agnes DAWES born 17 May 1856, Forbes NSW and  Mary Jane DAWES, born 1860, Forbes NSW.  Emily 1856-1927, Mary 1860-1902.    Emily married Michael COSTELLO in Eugowra, NSW in 24 August 1878.  The couple had eight children.

The NSW BDM copy of their marriage has been uploaded to the website.  It has NOT been reconciled by NSW BDM to the Church registers.

My transcription:
3010/1878

24 August 1878, Eugowra
Michael COSTELLO, Bachelor, (blank for column 5, birthplace)
Mary DAWES, Spinster, (blank for column 5, birthplace)
Married at the residence of the Bridegroom’s Brother-in-law, Eugowra, according to the rites of the Church of England,
(bridegroom) Poundkeeper, (blank for column 7, age), usual place of residence, Canowindra, (blank for column 9, Father’s name, mother’s name and maiden surname) (blank for column 10, Father’s occupation)
(bride), blank for Usual occupation, (blank for column 7, age), usual place of residence, Eugowra, (blank for column 9,) (blank for column 10)
Witnesses Charles Francis Bryon,  Margaret Bryon,
By (Rev) Ephraim Dunstan.

Some thoughts….

a)   NSW civil registrations for bdms commence 1 March 1856 … so perhaps seek out the birth registrations for both daughters mentioned above (Emily 1856 and Mary 1860) as one or both ought to include details of when and where their parents married, and the maiden name of their mum, and where their parents were born.  The info on an official transcription will be as informative as any real deal cert, and it will have already been deciphered by experienced transcribers.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html
b)   Seek out the C of E register for that 1878 marriage, as it should have the details that were not supplied at the time to NSW BDM re columns 5, 7, 9, 10.  There is a thread on those elusive blanks, but it is now becoming quite long.   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html
c)   Eugowra is still a small village, and the C of E is part of the Bathurst Diocese.  You may consider making contact with the Diocese office and asking if they can provide further info: http://www.bathurstanglican.org.au/   I particularly noted :  the ‘30’ is the number in one of the original parish registers that the Reverend Dunstan used to record the details of that marriage, likely it will be make it easier for them. 
24 August 1878, Eugowra
Michael COSTELLO, Bachelor,
Mary DAWES, Spinster,
Married at the residence of the Bridegroom’s Brother-in-law, Eugowra, according to the rites of the Church of England,

JM