Author Topic: Will index?  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will index?
« on: Thursday 20 June 19 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Can anyone tell me if there is a pre-1858 Nottinghamshire will index online? I am hoping a will exists for my John Raworth, who died in Eakring in 1805. The Nottinghamshire Archives charges 10 pounds just to look at the index and say yes or no, so if I can find one online, it would save me a lot of money!
Thanks, Carolyn

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Will index?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 June 19 10:52 BST (UK) »
From the Familysearch wiki "Nottinghamshire Probate Records" -

"Nottinghamshire was an Archdeaconry in the Diocese of York until transferred to the Diocese of Lincoln in 1837. The original wills, bonds and inventories were transferred from York to Nottingham in 1972, but the registered copies of Nottinghamshire wills are still at York, as are the Nottinghamshire rural deanery probate Act Books and those Nottinghamshire wills proved at the Prerogative Court of York, the Chancery Court of York and the Court of the Dean and Chapter of York".

The wiki has an index where you can check Nottinghamshire probate jurisdictions by parish.

Eakring has the Prerogative Court of York as its primary court.

The indexes for the Prerogative Court of York etc can be found on FindMyPast.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 June 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
Just checked the Probate Index and nothing for John Raworth 1805. There is an entry for a John Rayworth of Eakring 1813, but the name and place are the only details given.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 June 19 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for responding. I have been able to check the Probate Index at FindmyPast and I see  John Rayworth 1813, Eakring. Since there is no burial of a John other than 1805 and 1828 (I can account for him) I think it possible that 1813 John is mine and probate was delayed for some reason. I was happy to see a link for online ordering from the Borthwick Institute, so I am going to send for this will. So, thanks again.
Carolyn

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 June 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
Just found John Rayworth 1813 in the death duty registers at FindMyPast, and the administratix was Elizabeth, almost certainly his wife. So thanks again.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 June 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
It won't help the OP in this case, but wills proved in the Nottinghamshire Archdeaconry can be found in Nottinghamshire Archives' online catalogue. This may be of use to anyone who doesn't have access to FindMyPast.

I think some of these are in the York index as well, but not all are - and the Nottinghamshire index gives more details about what documents are available.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 June 19 03:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arthurk.
This was very useful.  It hadn't occurred to me to do a catalogue search on Eakring  AND will, but it certainly provided me with some results. It also gives the occupation, which is handy too. And it's given me a lead on another family.
Carolyn