Author Topic: George McGavin b.1852  (Read 991 times)

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George McGavin b.1852
« on: Thursday 20 June 19 15:33 BST (UK) »
I've already posted a message on the Renfrewshire page regarding George McGavin but haven't had any luck with information so I thought I'd widen the search to the whole of Scotland. George was born in 1852 in Johnstone,Renfrewshire and was the youngest son of Robert McGavin(a blacksmith) and Jane Montgomery Reid. I have found him on the 1861 and 1871 census and would like to find out what happened to him after this. Hopefully someone reading this might be able to help and point me in the right direction.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George McGavin b.1852
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 June 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
Link to other post - (Now locked . please reply on this thread).
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=760026.msg6756630#msg6756630

I can't see any 1871 entry for him but tree on Ancestry has his mother as  Janet Johnston and many of the family dying in the US - father and mother included

Whether the facts in the tree are correct remains to be seen but no info on George

Another tree has the family moving to Lancashire??
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George McGavin b.1852
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 June 19 19:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for linking to the other post CaroleW.

George's mother is definitely Jane Montgomery Reid, I have him on the 1861 census living with his parents and siblings at 68 High Street in Johnstone. He appears with his Dad and brother on the 1871 census living at 22 Walkinshaw Street, Johnstone but after this point he disappears.

George's brother, John, does move to Lancashire. His other brothers move to Wales and Liverpool. I have followed all of the brothers until their deaths and I am just left with George. There is no sign of him with any of his brothers so I was wondering if he had maybe stayed in Scotland or perhaps emigrated?