Author Topic: Bird family from Wales  (Read 2038 times)

Offline mauze

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bird family from Wales
« on: Friday 21 June 19 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi to all at Roots Chat,
Looking for help to find death of John Bird born abt. 1819 in Sirhowy Wales. Also 1881 census.
Last known written evidence was the 1871 census he is with the family in 6 Mill Lane, Bedminster. England wife Catherine Charley (Charles) born abt. 1830 and 4 of his eight living children, Catherine 14, Mary Ann 12, Esther 9 and Eily Sophia 5.
Mary Jane another child was born after the census in 1871 while they were still in Mill Lane. Ada Louisa last child was born 1875 and registered by her mother while living at Waters Place, Mill Lane, Bedminster.
I can find NO 1881 census for any of the above family members. All their other girls were already out of home and married.
Mother Catherine died in 1882 at 22 Paul St, Bedminster and registered by her daughter Sarah Gay  nee Bird who was living at 1 Mill Lane, Bedminster.
There was an entry for Ada Louisa Bird in 1891 found to be an INMATE , training as servant at the Female Guardian House at 49-51 Upper Maudlin St, St James Bristol.
Descendants in Australia asked their Grandmothers why they could not find any info on their ancestors and were told not to bother looking as they were all orphans. end of story.
My cousin and I have been able to trace most information about the girls until the 1871 census. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why there is no information on 1881 census, and John's death.
Regars Mauze

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bird family from Wales
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 June 19 03:17 BST (UK) »
A bit confused here, in 1851 his to be wife is Caroline and 1861 his wife is Caroline, in 1871 his wife is Catherine.

Offline mauze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 June 19 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for looking at my problem.
She was known as Catherine or Caroline Charley, Chorley and Charles. My cousin and I took a long time sorting this name change through out her life.
Her sister was named Elizabeth Charley and that is how we were able to sort out a lot on the name changes. As Elizabeth married John's brother George and John and Catherine lived with them in Wales for a time.
Same problem when Emily (Sophia) Bird daughter of Catherine who married my Great Grandfather when she died her mother was on her death certificate as Kathleen Charles.
Catherine Charley's mother was born Hester Smith and when she married it became Esther so the names change started with her.
It is no wonder the Great Grandchildren could not find out their roots. We have sorted it for them and now they have a past.
It is this one last bit of information that escapes us where was John after 1875, when and where did he die.
Thanks again solidrock.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 June 19 03:51 BST (UK) »
There is a Ada Louisa Bird marrying William Phillips 1896 Pontypridd Wales.
In 1901 they are living at Abercynon, Glamorgan, Wales.
She died 31 Jan 1967 • Kurri Kurri, New South Wales, Australia.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 June 19 03:58 BST (UK) »
Maybe..
Mary Jane Bird, born 29 June 1871 • Bedminster, Somerset, England.
Marriage to
James Atkinson
2 Apr 1892 • Lambton, New South Wales, Australia
Death
30 Aug 1953 • Kurri Kurri, New South Wales

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 June 19 04:05 BST (UK) »
If John was a miner maybe he also went to Australia for the gold.

Offline mauze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 June 19 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Yes she came out in 1890 stayed a year and then sent a message to William that she would not be returning. So he came out with the children. Yes some of sisters came out including my Great Grandmother Emily I think 4 in total came. Because of the mines. I will look for although I don't think that he would have come by himself without Catherine. Unless he came after 1882 when she died.
Bye Mauze

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 June 19 04:21 BST (UK) »
BIRD JESSIE
22324/1937
JOHN
CATHERINE
KATOOMBA

Offline mauze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 June 19 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Solidrock,
                 Jessie Bird was born in Victoria her maiden name escapes me I think it was something like Keilor and Bird was her married name. She died in Blue Mountains area.
 Thanks for your effort it is appreciated. I might have to try and buy a few more death certs. for John.
There was someone who went by the name of Arranroots who made good headway on Roots Chat in 2006 with no information at all, not sure whether they finally worked it out though.
Regards Maureen