Author Topic: Charles Wilhed Freeman  (Read 1093 times)

Offline peharris95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Wilhed Freeman
« on: Saturday 22 June 19 14:26 BST (UK) »
CWH was married to my Aunt Rose, he joined the Merchant Navy, but his ship the SS Barrwhin was torpedoed and sunk in 1942, CWH survived but less than a year later his ship the SS Manchester Citizen was also torpedoed and he died, family history says he remained on the ship until virtually all the crew were saved but he went down with it and he was awarded a medal for his bravery, I have never found any evidence for this, it was said his widow travelled to London for the medal presentation, I fear it was probably for the opening of the Merchant seaman memorial Panel 67 in London, However I have his Merchant Navy medal card, could any kind soul interpret from this the awards / medal or clasp's he was awarded, many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards, Peter.

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Wilhed Freeman
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 June 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 June 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
I guess you have seen this
https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/2996.html

There  is a survivors report for MANCHESTER CITIZEN on page 211
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4122505

You cannot view the report on line but as you have the page number it should not cost a fortune for TNA to copy for you. It  may contain information about the role of your ancestor during the sinking. The only way to find out is to take a look.

The last logbook and crew agreement of MANCHESTER CITIZEN Official number 147409
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11053804

Again  you cannot view on line. It may pay you to visit Kew and view all the documents I have quoted.

Your man is recorded in the Deaths at Sea Register as Charles William Freeman born Freetown, last address 19 Ravald? Street Salford.
I can find no record of him being awarded Lloyd's War Medal for Bravery at Sea. This was an unofficial medal awarded by Lloyd's of London, with the approval of the Admiralty and the Register General of Shipping and Seamen. It would not appear on his medal card.
I have a copy of the survivors report for BARRWHIN. If you need it just send your email via PM.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline peharris95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 June 19 19:46 BST (UK) »
Christine53 and Seaweed, many thanks for you prompt informative response to my inquiry.

Regards,

Peter. ;)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 19:42 BST (UK) »
 I am having problems sending attachments by email. I have read the survivors report for BARRWHIN. There was no mention of your ancestor.
One thing I neglected to say in my previous post.
It appears that his seamans "pouch" has been lost or destroyed. This is not unusual for seamen who have been lost at sea.
He may however have a form CRS 10 which will record all of the vessels he sailed on, together with dates and place's of engagement and discharge. From early 1941.
It should be here.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10988836

For security reasons you would be best served visiting Kew yourself, or appointing a researcher to look for you.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline peharris95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Seaweed. ;)