Author Topic: Friary Family- Granard, Co.Longford  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Michelle Rose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Friary Family- Granard, Co.Longford
« on: Sunday 23 June 19 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
Hoping someone out there may be able to help me. My grandmother was Rose Friary, born in Longford in 1928 to Bernard and Ellen (nee Lynch). Bernard (b. 1897) and Ellen, married in 1923 and had children: Joseph, Ellen (Nell), Rose Ann, Kathleen, James, John, Philomena, Benedict and Mary. I have been researching the Friary line and while I've found some aspects easy, I'm not sure that all my findings are correct. I was told by extended family that Bernard didn't have much family in Granard, despite being born there and other than my grandmother mentioning her aunt 'Bridie', nothing else was known.
Through research (census' & different research sites), I found the following information: living in Mullanlaghta, Bernard's father was John (died: 1939), mother Rose (nee McKeon- died: 1903) and sisters, Annie (b. 1888), Ellen/Ellie (b. 1890), Margaret/Maggie (b. 1891), Rose (b. 1895), Bridget/Bridie (b. 1899). I also believe there was an older sibling- Mary (b. 1887), but can't confirm this. I've found records for her, but not a baptismal record and she was in service by 1901, so is not with them on the census.
Bernard's mother Rose died in 1903- I believe in childbirth or shortly after, with James (b. 28/02/1903). James' death is registered in 1904.
John Friary married again in 1905 to Mary Kane- widow of William Kane- and her and her daughter, Mary-Kate Kane (b. 1899) are living with the family in the 1911 census.
My research becomes a bit sticky at John's background. Due to discrepencies between his ages in the census' and the fact that there were 3 John Friary's born in Granard within a 10 year time period, I am unsure as to who his parents were.
I have researched 2 possibilities- Bernard (b.1833) and Anne Friary (b. 1833) from Cavan (nee Maguaran/Smith) and Patrick and (Mary) Ellen Friary (nee Kiernan) from Granard. At first, I thoroughly believed it was the previous, as if it were Bernard and Anne, their history would fit in to an old family story- that the Friary name was born out of a spelling mistake/misinterpretation in the Colmicille Parish register. Bernard's name was originally Prior and he and Anne were originally from Cavan. They had children: Kate/Kathleen (b. 1846), Michael (b. 1847), Patrick (b. 1856), Margaret (b. 1859), Bartley (b. 1865/d. 1865), John (b. 1866), Anne (b. 1869) and Eliza (b. 1874/d. 1874). Bernard's wife Anne died in 1874, I assume as a result of Eliza's birth. I found records to show that Kate, Michael and Patrick went to the U.S.

Yet, I have also found records that point to him possibly being the offspring of Patrick and Ellen Friary- children, Rose (b. 1864), Mary (b.1865), Michael (b. 1867), Andrew (b. 1870), John (b. 1869), Joseph (b. 1871). It seems that all of Patrick and Ellen's children, except John, emigrated to the U.S.

If anyone has any info on the above family lines, I would much appreciate it.

Friary (Friery/ Friereagh)- Granard, Co. Longford/ Co. Cavan
Shannon- Dublin
Reddington/Reddin- Dublin
Ryan- Dublin & Galway
Lynch- Dublin/ Co. Meath
McKeon- Co. Longford
Magovern (Magouran/ Smith)- Co. Longford/ Co. Cavan
Brennan- Co. Wexford
Doyle- Sligo
Burns- Co. Monaghan
Rooney- Co. Monaghan
McKenna- Co. Monaghan/ Co. Meath
Campbell- Co. Monaghan
Clusky (McClusky)- Co. Monaghan
Kerley- Co. Monaghan
McGahan- Co. Monaghan
Halfpenny- Co. Monaghan
Fagan- Co. Meath

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Friary Family- Granard, Co.Longford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 June 19 12:48 BST (UK) »
If you search on irishgenealogy.ie you can find John's marriage records

He married Rose McKEON on Nov 06 1883 aged 18 according to the record [/color]
and his father's name was Bernard

This would imply he was born c1865 and as his age is given and under 21 I would consider it close to true

When he married Mary KANE formerly MULLIGAN in 1905; Bernard was also stated as his father's name LINK

Unfortunately the church records are not online which could have the mother's name also
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 June 19 12:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

John Friary married again in 1905 to Mary Kane- widow of William Kane- and her and her daughter, Mary-Kate Kane (b. 1899) are living with the family in the 1911 census.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Longford/Ballinalee/Ballyreaghan/582174/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002887851/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 June 19 13:04 BST (UK) »
I should also have said welcome to RootsChat!

There was also a civil birth records for
Mary born Apr 03 1886 LINK
and Kate born Jan 11 1888 LINK

There are baptisms for
John bap Apr 27 1892 Lough Gowna and Anne bap Nov 04 1900
The image for Margaret's birth in 1892 is not online but she may have been a twin

Annie was born on Sept 18 1884

This is a link to the FRIARY births from 1883 to 1903 LINK
This is an easy site to search but unfortunately not all information is searchable!

There was also a James FRIARY and Alice REILLY having children at around the same time
They married in 1897
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 June 19 13:13 BST (UK) »

This would imply he was born c1865 and as his age is given and under 21 I would consider it close to true

John born 5th September 1866
Father Bernard & mother Anne Smith  #470
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03517/2293705.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 June 19 13:38 BST (UK) »
The adjoining townlands of Cloonagh & Kilmore, Columbkille Civil parish.
https://www.townlands.ie/longford/granard/columbkille/mullanalaghta/cloonagh/
https://www.townlands.ie/longford/granard/columbkille/mullanalaghta/kilmore/

John born Kilmore in 1866, Bernard born Cloonagh in 1897. Both fathers were shoemakers.

KG

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 June 19 14:18 BST (UK) »

They had children: Kate/Kathleen (b. 1846), Michael (b. 1847), Patrick (b. 1856), Margaret (b. 1859), Bartley (b. 1865/d. 1865), John (b. 1866), Anne (b. 1869) and Eliza (b. 1874/d. 1874).

Bernard born 22nd September 1871  #499
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03272/2199070.pdf

KG

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 June 19 14:53 BST (UK) »
This search on https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp gets you all Registered BDM's  for Friary of Granard

Those with Page No's don't have Images at moment, but you can check again in future as they come online.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Michelle Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 June 19 20:25 BST (UK) »
Kiltaglassan, hallmark and myluck! Thank you, thank you and thank you  ;D

You have confirmed my theory and went beyond, giving me the evidence I was missing. There is another John Friary in my G.G.Grandfather's timeline, who I nick-named Boglane John due to where he was living in the 1901 census. With him living in the same area and being around 10 years older, it was hard to separate the two when it came to records, especially with the amount of mistakes and inconsistencies I've picked up in some records.

Again, thank you for your help- it's very much appreciated. 
Friary (Friery/ Friereagh)- Granard, Co. Longford/ Co. Cavan
Shannon- Dublin
Reddington/Reddin- Dublin
Ryan- Dublin & Galway
Lynch- Dublin/ Co. Meath
McKeon- Co. Longford
Magovern (Magouran/ Smith)- Co. Longford/ Co. Cavan
Brennan- Co. Wexford
Doyle- Sligo
Burns- Co. Monaghan
Rooney- Co. Monaghan
McKenna- Co. Monaghan/ Co. Meath