Author Topic: Request for Lookup/Information: Marmaduke Shaw b 1710 Aughton, Yorkshire  (Read 1070 times)

Offline CanadianMcCubbin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My first time doing this sort of request...

Marmaduke Shaw b. 1710 was, I believe, my husband's 6th great-grandfather. His son, also Marmaduke, was born in 1736, also in Yorkshire. The family had a great many males named Marmaduke over the years...often several in a generation. I have Marmaduke Shaw's back to about 1675, but am having difficulty knowing if I'm following the right branch of the tree. My husband 'did his DNA' with Ancestry and I've traced directly back to Marmaduke Shaw (1756-1813) and Ann Evershed (1786-?). I'm pretty sure that before London the Shaw family were in Yorkshire - which makes sense as research tells me the name Marmaduke became popular in the Yorkshire area in the 17th century. I have several other Marmaduke Shaw's (1710, 1675 etc) from Yorkshire, along with a few relatives - but I'm not sure who to put where!

So I guess what I'm look for is any of the following:
- does anyone know anything about the Shaw family who lived in the area then and included at least one of 'our' Marmadukes?
- I'm quite curious as to the origin of the name Marmaduke in Yorkshire - anything more than what I've found online would be great!
- and this might be more of a general question, but once I've hit a bit of a brick wall, but have names/info - any techniques to put them in their right places? I seem to be missing the branches to put them on! Is this a case of where I need to fill in siblings etc to find the appropriate branches to hang our people on?

Thanks!
Christine
McCubbin > Smith - Whiteman - Johnstone/Johnston - Shaw - MacRobert - Halliday -
Risbey > Gamble - Weightman - Smith - Tranter - Oatridge - Watkins - Purvis - Jones - Grieve - Johnson - Nesbit - Reavely - Turnbull

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Lookup/Information: Marmaduke Shaw b 1710 Aughton, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 June 19 01:46 BST (UK) »
Best to start with surnames interest board at the bottom of this page.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Lookup/Information: Marmaduke Shaw b 1710 Aughton, Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 June 19 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm not at all sure what you're after but here's what I can see

Marmaduke Shaw batch of St Olave Southwark married Ann Evershed spinster and minor with consent of William Evershed the father 14.1.1804 St George the Maytr Southwark
wit William and Jane Evershead,Diana Shaw ,Sarah Dowley and Richard Hust

Marmaduke is the son of Marmaduke and Sarah Shaw of Mill Pond Bridge  Sadler bapt 7 Sep 1783 at Bermondsey .Born 11.8.1783.
Apprenticed 29.9.1797 Freeman of London papers
It looks like he was buried 8 Sep 1813 of Goswell St at Southwark St Olave.There is a PCC Will which leaves his estate in his father Marnaduke's hands to sort out for his sons.He is also a sadler.
His sons Marmadke 18.11.1804 St Olave,Marmaduke William23 July 1806- 1.3.1810, Christopher 23 May 1808 Goswell St St Luke's Finsbury  and  Marmaduke William bapt St Luke Finsbury 25 May 1810.

Marmaduke senior 1756-1823 sadler married Sarah Cock  St Mary Lambeth 4.1.1778 wit Thomas Davies and Elizabeth Reynolds.
He was buried 3.1.1823 at St Olave Bermondsey age 76 of Tooley St
His Will is also a PCC Will
It mentions wife Elizabeth ,son in law Richard Gill of Goswell St whom he is a partner of ,daughter Diana Gill.
Joseph Harris of St Albans
John Maguire Smithfields cheesemonger
Grandson Christopher  William Shaw son of late son Marmaduke
Marmaduke's widow Ann Shaw
M seniors brother John Shaw.
Then he mentions charities and tenants and servants.
1819 he was freeholder of Tooley St

Other children for Marmaduke and Sarah -Sarah Frances 26 Aug 1781 St George the Maytr,Eleanor Amelia 1.5.1785 Bermondsey ,Diana 20.7.1788 Rotherhithe bapt 8.8.1788 Bermondsey ,Marmaduke William 5 Dec 1789 St Johns Bermondsey.
He married 2nd Elizabeth West 22.4.1818 at St Luke Finsbury .Both widowed ,him of St Olave Bermonsdsey  Wit Diana and R Gill and Ann Webster.
lots of info on him and son Marmaduke junior  on London Lives website from 1789

I'll see what I can find for Yorkshire

ps I can't see that connection to Aughton
I can see a Marmaduke bapt Middleton Tyas
Marmaduke s of William Shaw bapt 17 June 1755
Siblings Jane 17.5.1737 ,Elinor 26 Dec 1739 ,John 2.6.1742,Frances 1.11.1744 ,Hunton (son) 16.8.1747,William 27.2.1749 -27.2.1749 and Chr 19.6.1753 (perhaps Christopher).
William Shaw buried 20.1.1759.
Elinor widow buried 18.6.1760.

Ciderdrinker