Author Topic: Help identifying uniform possibly Hussars  (Read 2026 times)

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying uniform possibly Hussars
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 13:59 BST (UK) »
Definitely the grandfather. If not Regular, could be Royal Bucks Hussars c1892/3 (uniform changes). Unfortunately, the busby bag is not visible. He has the white plume. There's something suspicious. On the face of it, blue collar and cuffs. However, see his left arm cuff, I don't think it's photo fading. RBH had uniforms of blue mixed with 'invisible green' only visible in 'a certain light'. He should have a red collar. All NCO chevrons in RBH Hussars were surmounted by a crown. No doubt K Garrard can confirm or offer another solution.

I did wonder if there might be red in the uniform which is not distinguishable. I was puzzled as to the strip down his trousers which appears to be a slightly different colour but definitely not yellow or white as in all the uniforms on Uniformology. Any thoughts on that?

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 14:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, I noticed that and could be red. Bucks is not a million miles from Oxfordshire. Anyway, one of Jane Austen's (Hampshire) brothers was an officer in the Oxfordshire Militia.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 14:22 BST (UK) »
Pictures from http://www.royalbuckshussars.org/Royal%20bucks%20Hussars/Scrapbook/index.html show uniforms c1909/1910 as having more rows of braid?! (3rd row, pictures 3 and 4)
1865 picture shows a green jacket, with only 5 rows of braid (6th row, picture 7)

I am still leaning towards a Regular Hussar ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 14:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, but uniforms had changed by 1900 to 1914. I will do a more thorough search of Regular Hussar regiments.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 22:25 BST (UK) »
Would it sway the debate in favour of Yeomanry if I said that my relatives Grandfather was a shown as a Farmers brother on the 1881 and Farmers son in 1891 then a Farmer in 1901 census returns? He was also married in Oxford in 1895. Children born between 1897-1902. I can’t find any mention of military service (yet).

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 07:43 BST (UK) »
Well, I also wrote to the owner of uniformology.com who came back with a very detailed response which suggests it is the Denbighshire Yeomanry. He included the fact that his four bar chevron on his right sleeve was unique to the Denbighshire Hussars as they still used the old system of ranks right up to 1902.  He would have been a Troop Sergeant-Major and there is just enough to show a Prince of Wales feathers above the chevrons.

I think I am convinced as it explains the stripe on the trousers and the cuff colouration mentioned earlier too.

See what you think...
http://www.uniformology.com/YEOMANRY-02.html

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 07:55 BST (UK) »
That's good enough for me ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 08:21 BST (UK) »
Just picked up your Posts. Yes, it would point to Yeomanry. You've seen the Website. Did you tell him your relation was from Oxford. What on earth would an Oxfordshire farmer do being in the Denbighshire Hussars (North wales)? Does not compute. RBH was unlikely for same reason.

The whole point of the Yeomanry was they were manned by county men, officers from county gentry, NCO's and men from farm people or with horse ability. Might go out of County operationly though.

I'd query that with him.

K Garrard, you thought he was a Regular ;D

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 15:09 BST (UK) »
I urge you to check with your source. I have found a photo of Winston Churchill in uniform of QOOH (Pinterest), 1900's by the look of it. OK, officers uniform but looks good. White plume. Churchill was long associated with the Regiment. His regular commission was with the 4th Hussars. Two Dukes of Marlborough were colonels of QOOH at some time. Your man must have been OH.

https://www.google.com/search?q=queen%27s+own+oxfordshire+hussars+photographs+1890+to+1900&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfmeCUo4fjAhWEXRUIHaS4A4wQ_AUIECgB&biw=800&bih=475#imgrc=2CT8BnxPsm3rAM:.

Have to scroll down to WC Oxford Hussar.