Author Topic: BIRTH in OHIO c1867 of Scottish Son  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BIRTH in OHIO c1867 of Scottish Son
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 03:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for ALL of the above contributions. The reply from Rosie and the incorrect "surname" is all I need. I was not able to find the 1871 Census in Scotland THANK YOU!!!. Obviously due to the miss spelling. However John was on 2.. born 1869 so that is an error too. David is the brother of my Great Grandmother. We have a large tree full of details here (in New Zealand) and it is a question asked by us, all how do we know it is true that he was born in Ohio and yes I guess there were other family or folk who knew the family while they were there hence it being noted to Ohio Newspapers. The census now confirms that. We I have everything else, births, deaths, children, marriages in both Scotland and New Zealand  "we" just wanted some Proof he was born in USA. It was until now heresay. I don't wish to be ungrateful but some of the answers sent just confused the heck out of me as had nothing to do with my question. I thought I clearly asked the question.Thank you all for your help no further research needed. From a chilly day in Dunedin, New Zealand BUT the sun is shining.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 04:57 BST (UK) »
"The reply from Rosie and the incorrect "surname" is all I need. I was not able to find the 1871 Census in Scotland THANK YOU!!!. Obviously due to the miss spelling"

Maybe you should have used the official site for the official 1871 census record

TORRANCE JAMES 42
625/2 7/ 3
Holytown, Lanark

"However John was on 2.. born 1869 so that is an error too"

The official census record does not give a yr of birth.

"David Kirkwood TORRANCE on his death the notice in New Zealand it said born Ohio USA
His parents were James TORRANCE and Elizabeth frmly AITKEN."

...was that not an error?

"a question asked by us, all how do we know it is true that he was born in Ohio 
The census now confirms that"

With so many errors on the transcription for 1871 how can you confirm this isn't an error unless checking the original?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 05:59 BST (UK) »
Just a pity no birth record found for you ...But glad you were able to find the 1871 census  as Annie said not the original ...Which you will know is on Scotland's People ..Hope it's not to cold in Dunedin ..Beautiful place to be we spent 5 days there a few years ago  :

Rosie

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 06:01 BST (UK) »
ROSINISH.......As to the census records, the spelling and information given is/was all in the ear of the taker of the information, people back then mostly couldn't write or spell. I have the OFFICIAL census and written number beside "John" the brother looks more like a 7 than a 2 as it has other ink marks over it.  As to proof of this situation we have all the birth or baptisms of the other children, but we had only a "note" that he was born in Ohio, the notice in the newspaper. We now have another confirmation he was at least born in USA as shown in the census. Unfortunately when we all started the search NO ONE was alive that knew him, there was just this fable? rumor, idea, that he was born in Ohio, USA. His WIFE was Elizabeth AITKEN. Remember families in distressing times don't always write/give the correct information due to the stress and because they maybe dont know. The families back in those days...even my days and today sometimes, only know what they were told. I was told my Grandmother was a certain surname. She never spoke of her past, my mother, her daughter and my mothers sister, always believed she was in born in NZ and put that on her death certificate, and used the maiden name which turned out to be not her "real name" on her certificate.  On tracing her I found: She was born in Sydney, Australia, she lived in Sydney and Melbourne, she came to New Zealand around 19, she travelled back to Melbourne to get the Intentions to Marry document signed by her "mother" as she was under 20.  The name she used for marriage was actually that of her Foster Parents, luckily, the NSW Registry in Australia (because I couldn't find her born in New Zealand and as she had married Granddad, who was from Melbourne I tried another option) recorded her under the name her birth mother gave her, reordered her birth mother's name and status at registration and the name of the people actually stated "Registered by ***** Foster Parents. Mother **** in New Zealand at time the registration was required.  It would be a pain if we had the "PERFECT " family, our hobby/job would be done too quick.

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 06:03 BST (UK) »
ROSIE 17 cheers. I have the original Census thanks... Looks like I have "looked" at it this week before I sent this... Alt symers moving in... ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) Glenda

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 06:40 BST (UK) »
It's important to have correct info. to begin with for any query...

His name was David Kirkwood TORRANCE on his death the notice in New Zealand it said born Ohio USA and said "Ohio Newspapers please copy". His parents were James TORRANCE and Elizabeth frmly AITKEN.

I was drawing to your attention the index on SP had the surname spelling correct i.e. easy to locate as you'd said you couldn't find them.

The index on SP had the middle name initial 'K' (Kirkwood) as 'R' for both boys although this has no effect on the original & although rare the difference with K/R most of us are aware of.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 07:46 BST (UK) »
ROSINISH

Sorry I am not perfect!