Author Topic: Houghton/Holywell-cum-Needingworth  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Houghton/Holywell-cum-Needingworth
« on: Monday 24 June 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
Familysearch shows three baptisms in the early 1800s for one of my families, each listed as taking place at Houghton, and also at Holywell-cum-Needingworth with the same date.   The two individuals who lived long enough to be recorded in censuses say they were born at Houghton.

Information on Genuki doesn't seem to suggest that either church is a chapel of the other.  Does anyone know what the reason might be for both places being recorded by Familysearch as where the baptism took place?  (The entries all come from the same batch: C16873-1)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Houghton/Holywell-cum-Needingworth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 June 19 14:57 BST (UK) »
My guess would be that the batch contains baptisms from both churches ;D
And FamilySearch is simply confused?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 June 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
As film 1040635, which is what batch: C16873-1 is on, covers all the following is it possible the parish chest records for one have been confused with the parish registers of the other. only way is to see the film but it is locked on familysearch

Items 1 - 10: Parish chest records for Holywell cum Needingworth, 990-1914
Author:
Holywell cum Needingworth (Huntingdonshire)
Add
Items 11 - 15: Parish registers for Houghton, 1633-1877
Author:
Church of England. Parish Church of Houghton (Huntingdonshire); Church of England. Parish Church of Witton (Huntingdonshire)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 June 19 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your helpful replies, KGarrad and davidft. Looks like Houghton is probably the correct place, then, since that's where two of them say they were born. 

Offline PeterC66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fascinating!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 07:14 BST (UK) »
I research Holywell with Needingworth and have lots of data including all Parish Registers on the website hcnhistory.org.uk.

Family Search does have Holywell with Needingworth for one batch where it should have been Houghton.  This caused me a significant problem several years ago, and I told them but there has been no correction. The two villages are on opposite sides of St Ives.
Everyone with connections to Holywell-cum-Needingworth

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 08:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for confirming my suspicions, PeterC66.  It did seem a bit strange that the baptisms - and a lot of others I noticed - would have been recorded in both places.  I wonder why Familysearch haven't corrected it.