Author Topic: Territorial Force & National Reserve  (Read 273 times)

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Territorial Force & National Reserve
« on: Tuesday 25 June 19 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I recently discovered the obituary for my 2x great grandfathers brother, Thomas Foley, who died in 1914 in Manchester aged 66 (born 1848 in County Waterford).

On the obituary (pictured below) it says 'members of the Territorial Force and National Reserve are invited to assemble at the house at 2:30PM'. This makes me believe he was at one time a part of that regiment. Before this i believed he was a dyer by occupation all his life.

Would i be able to find any records for the Territorial force?

Thanks,
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Territorial Force & National Reserve
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 09:02 BST (UK) »
The Territorial Force and the National Reserve were not one regiment but were the overall titles of two elements of army reserves within which were a large number of different units.  This and the links from it explains the two:http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/british-army-reserves-and-reservists/.

He was in all probability an ex-soldier who belonged to a local TF unit and the article is inviting support from his TF comrades.  The Manchester area had too many TF units to think of tying him to one or another but it may be possible to find his earlier service.   I'll have a look.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 09:10 BST (UK) »
Afternote

He appears regularly in the earlier census returns with no sign of army service so it may be he was a member of the Territorial Force (ie part time) having not served before.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
Afternote

He appears regularly in the earlier census returns with no sign of army service so it may be he was a member of the Territorial Force (ie part time) having not served before.

MaxD

MaxD,

Thanks so much for the info and for looking into it. I thought he could have joined and left between censuses but part time seems much more plausible.

My grandmother remembers seeing a photograph of her grandfather (Thomas' brother), and vividly remembers him wearing a red uniform. Perhaps he was also doing it part time as he is listed in every census as a dyer.

Thanks again,
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant