Author Topic: William born in fornication  (Read 701 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William born in fornication
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 15:26 BST (UK) »
... Wm anderson* goldsmith Wm scrimgeo(ur) Wm youngson*
godfathers

* - endings could be ...son or ...sonn or ...sone or ...som etc.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 June 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. Do you think it possible that where it says " youngson" in your translation that this may have been Wm. or William son of Walter?

William in Montreal

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 June 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
I think it's a surname which is found north east (Aberdeen areas) & other places.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 June 19 01:47 BST (UK) »
I see that you are researching Clan McDonald. Did you know that Donaldson = Clan McDonald. I am showing that the William Innes married a Margaret Donaldson on the 15 Nov.1683 in Saint nicholas. They had 5 children.

Would you like to discuss this further on a personal level.

William in Montreal

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 June 19 02:40 BST (UK) »
I haven't enough info. on my MacDonald to compare.

I am stuck for now with my 3 x g g/father Donald born c1791 South Uist & died 1856 S/Uist...

His daughter was the informant of his death & didn't know the m/s of his mother although his father was John b c1770 or prior?

I don't actively search MacDonald for obvious reasons but as I do a lot of Uist research, I'm hopeful of finding something e.g. a/some sibling(s) at some stage but I'm in no rush as I know the earliest S/Uist records don't begin until 1820 (Baptisms) & 1832 (Marriages).

Yes, I'm aware of many different names connected with the M(a)cDonald surname.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:McDonald
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 June 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage extract between William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald dated 13 Sep.1770 in Inveravon, Banff Scotland. Sadly, there were no children recorded in this marriage but I have been able to confirm that Alexander Innes born about 1774 was their son.

When this Alexander died his DE shows us that his parents were William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald .
There were at least 4 more children including William Innes , my direct ancestor.

Would you like to look further into this?

William in Montreal

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:McDonald
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 June 19 17:02 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage extract between William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald dated 13 Sep.1770 in Inveravon, Banff Scotland. 
I have been able to confirm that Alexander Innes born about 1774 was their son.

When this Alexander died his DE shows us that his parents were William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald .

Would you like to look further into this?

Definitely not, on the basis I have no clues as to the origins of my John MacDonald b c1770 or prior i.e. to me it would be like throwing a dart to see where it lands & start investigating from there...

It's one thing investigating a lead but Banff is a long distance from South Uist where my MacDonalds were & I haven't managed to connect them to Clanranald i.e. anything else would be speculation without any pointers for now.

I believe it's very likely some of mine emigrated in the 1700s & 1800s.

Annie