Author Topic: Ancestry Lab - New Feature for Hints  (Read 464 times)

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry Lab - New Feature for Hints
« on: Wednesday 26 June 19 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Had a quick look, but don't see anyone else posting about this.

Ancestry has added a new feature to its Ancestry Lab.  Now if you accept / reject or uncertain about a hint, you can choose one or more reasons why you made the decision you did.  The feature can be turned on and off.  At first, it's a bit intrusive, but if it helps Ancestry make better decisions on how their algorithms work, it might be a good thing.

Has anyone else tried to use it?  Thoughts? 

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806
3. McKaskill - Australia - 1990's

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Lab - New Feature for Hints
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 18:34 BST (UK) »
I switched it on just to have a look. Seems to be a good idea but not yet consistent about when it shows up. Anything that can improve the quality of hints is worth considering. However, I expect there will be a flood of complaints on facebook from those users who, for some inexplicable reason, think that hints have to be cleared.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Bainbridge, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Coxon, Davis, Dow, Farside, Garden, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Johnson, Laidler, Mason, Miller, Milne, Moreis, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Young

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline uk4753

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 18:54 BST (UK) »
I have been adding my 2-cents worth for about a week.  It seems like a good idea but it does take an additional click or two.  I'll keep an open mind on this for awhile.

:)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 July 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
I thought I would give this a try. I started with photos and stories as there were not so many as records.
Two "stories" turned out to be ones written by me.

One was was something I posted on an Ancestry sponsored message site six years ago that someone copied onto their tree but did not bother to give the source. I suppose the good news is that 25 other people picked up the information which was an abstract of a will. The bad news is that none of the trees that I checked had been amended to take account of the information contained in the abstract.

The other story was some information I posted on my tree that was picked up and re-posted by someone else. My Ancestry name was attached to that.  How is that a hint for me?

Anyone else had their work hinted back to them? 

Venelow
Canada

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 July 19 20:14 BST (UK) »

I'm afraid that is the normal state of affairs for hints in Ancestry trees.
Typically it shows you the information you have carefully put into your tree details, and says that this is compiled from 10 Ancestry trees. You then find that the other nine only have a vaguely similar name and almost certainly relate to a different century and a different continent, but neither was specified by any of the other users.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 July 19 22:04 BST (UK) »

Regular as clockwork. 

For each person in my tree I make an image.  An A4 sized graphic of their name, in colour, in a variety of fonts. I have made hundreds - they are all different. And I have had most of them offered back to me. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia