Author Topic: Frederick the Great 1759 era  (Read 675 times)

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick the Great 1759 era
« on: Wednesday 26 June 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
Starting at the beginning.... I have a ring dating back to the above`s reign.. but struggling to find anything at all about the history regarding the ring.. There were two pieces made, a Tiarra with 9 diamonds set in the head piece & a ring which I have, the diamonds were set in such a way they spelt out the name Knoblauch... it is the same with the Tiarra, but this is sadly missing... I have photos of said ring which I can share....Would really appreciate anyone`s help with this or failing that where else to try....

Thanking you in advance
John

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick the Great 1759 era
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
Google Knoblauch and you will find one born 1792.
There were Jewish connections.
Knoblauch is German for garlic,but also a surname.
You may see some connection that others won’t as we have no other information.
Hope you solve the puzzle.
Viktoria.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 June 19 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Viktoria, thanks for that, I am actually trying to help a neighbour with this, I did google the name but I got so many Knolauch, , is it possible you could find the name , because I do have a name, I wondered if it were one and the same, Adolph otto Von Knoblauch... I do have limited resources..
It would be so nice to find out as much as possible regarding the family and possibly the connection to the Jewellery .

Thanks again Viktoria

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 June 19 08:46 BST (UK) »
I cannot visualise a tiara with the word Knoblauch in diamonds,likewise the ring.
There was,when I  googled Knoblauch  , a tiara called The Oldenburg tiara,worn by The Queen of Greece. But if course  there were German connections.
The tiara is / was lovely ,just stars in space for want of a better description.
Is it possible as there was a name incorporated in the tiara and ring that it could be an advertising set ?The jeweller being Knoblauch.
I really doubt that a society lady would wear something with a name ,even her own.
There is a composer,Danish .
How did you come by the ring and the info,if that is not too personal a question? I t might help to make some connections if you could explain .
Viktoria.

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 June 19 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much Viktoria, I will speak with my Neighbour and get back to you..

Thanks Again

John

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby, - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 June 19 15:23 BST (UK) »
I really doubt that a society lady would wear something with a name ,even her own.

I can't agree with you about that.  Initials of flowers and gemstones have been used to spell personal messages and names for centuries.

If I took a wild guess I would suggest that a ring and tiara could have been a present to Mr and Mrs Knoblauch on their wedding.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 June 19 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip, thanks for the help, it could be a good point the Jewellery given to a Couple on their wedding day, I think now that Knoblauch was a General and around the time of the Kaiser, he gave the name of Von , so Adolph Otto Van Knoblauch... wondered about any wars or conflicts around the 1759 time... might help.... The Diamonds in the Ring deffinately spell out the surname of Knoblauch..
The Neighbour(whom I am trying to help) has German descendants and were at one time friendly with the Knoblauch family and their descendants.... Sorry about this but bits seem to come out in dribs & drabs... All I know is the lady tried to find out about this ring, our local jewellers would offer her upwards of £2000 to take it off her hands,, but not really serious about it... The lady is very keen to learn more about the history & that is why I thought there is only One place to go... Rootschat... the People on there are Brilliant..

Thanks again everyone
John

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 June 19 18:22 BST (UK) »
I wish we knew how many diamonds there are in the ring.
Knoblauch is a longish word, and how big is the ring to take a full word unless the word goes all the way round like an eternity ring

Initials and symbolic flowers are very different to full words.
( I am visualising H. M with Queenie on a tiara,I don’t think ;D)
“ Love” maybe ,or a message engraved on the inside of a ring but a full name which can be seen in diamonds?
Until we see a picture I can not imagine what it could be like.
Perhaps James  can find out more and post a photograph and whether Von or Van is part of the family name,or if it changed  from Von to Van.
Viktoria.

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 June 19 19:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry , struggling to post pictures.... it says they are too big,``error`