Author Topic: Frederick the Great 1759 era  (Read 2563 times)

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick the Great 1759 era
« on: Wednesday 26 June 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
Starting at the beginning.... I have a ring dating back to the above`s reign.. but struggling to find anything at all about the history regarding the ring.. There were two pieces made, a Tiarra with 9 diamonds set in the head piece & a ring which I have, the diamonds were set in such a way they spelt out the name Knoblauch... it is the same with the Tiarra, but this is sadly missing... I have photos of said ring which I can share....Would really appreciate anyone`s help with this or failing that where else to try....

Thanking you in advance
John

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick the Great 1759 era
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
Google Knoblauch and you will find one born 1792.
There were Jewish connections.
Knoblauch is German for garlic,but also a surname.
You may see some connection that others won’t as we have no other information.
Hope you solve the puzzle.
Viktoria.

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 June 19 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Viktoria, thanks for that, I am actually trying to help a neighbour with this, I did google the name but I got so many Knolauch, , is it possible you could find the name , because I do have a name, I wondered if it were one and the same, Adolph otto Von Knoblauch... I do have limited resources..
It would be so nice to find out as much as possible regarding the family and possibly the connection to the Jewellery .

Thanks again Viktoria

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 June 19 08:46 BST (UK) »
I cannot visualise a tiara with the word Knoblauch in diamonds,likewise the ring.
There was,when I  googled Knoblauch  , a tiara called The Oldenburg tiara,worn by The Queen of Greece. But if course  there were German connections.
The tiara is / was lovely ,just stars in space for want of a better description.
Is it possible as there was a name incorporated in the tiara and ring that it could be an advertising set ?The jeweller being Knoblauch.
I really doubt that a society lady would wear something with a name ,even her own.
There is a composer,Danish .
How did you come by the ring and the info,if that is not too personal a question? I t might help to make some connections if you could explain .
Viktoria.

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 June 19 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much Viktoria, I will speak with my Neighbour and get back to you..

Thanks Again

John

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 June 19 15:23 BST (UK) »
I really doubt that a society lady would wear something with a name ,even her own.

I can't agree with you about that.  Initials of flowers and gemstones have been used to spell personal messages and names for centuries.

If I took a wild guess I would suggest that a ring and tiara could have been a present to Mr and Mrs Knoblauch on their wedding.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 June 19 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip, thanks for the help, it could be a good point the Jewellery given to a Couple on their wedding day, I think now that Knoblauch was a General and around the time of the Kaiser, he gave the name of Von , so Adolph Otto Van Knoblauch... wondered about any wars or conflicts around the 1759 time... might help.... The Diamonds in the Ring deffinately spell out the surname of Knoblauch..
The Neighbour(whom I am trying to help) has German descendants and were at one time friendly with the Knoblauch family and their descendants.... Sorry about this but bits seem to come out in dribs & drabs... All I know is the lady tried to find out about this ring, our local jewellers would offer her upwards of £2000 to take it off her hands,, but not really serious about it... The lady is very keen to learn more about the history & that is why I thought there is only One place to go... Rootschat... the People on there are Brilliant..

Thanks again everyone
John

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 June 19 18:22 BST (UK) »
I wish we knew how many diamonds there are in the ring.
Knoblauch is a longish word, and how big is the ring to take a full word unless the word goes all the way round like an eternity ring

Initials and symbolic flowers are very different to full words.
( I am visualising H. M with Queenie on a tiara,I don’t think ;D)
“ Love” maybe ,or a message engraved on the inside of a ring but a full name which can be seen in diamonds?
Until we see a picture I can not imagine what it could be like.
Perhaps James  can find out more and post a photograph and whether Von or Van is part of the family name,or if it changed  from Von to Van.
Viktoria.

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 June 19 19:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry , struggling to post pictures.... it says they are too big,``error`