Author Topic: North China Herald  (Read 1223 times)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: North China Herald
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 July 19 19:33 BST (UK) »
I’d seen the marriage between Emily Ellen Clark and Kenneth McKelvie (14 May 1909) as well. At the time  I wasn’t sure about it because the article mentioned that Emily was also a second daughter of “Mr and Mrs James Clark of Shanghai” and because it did not mention his job like everywhere else (and I’d seen a different James Clark in some of the other papers).

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 July 19 19:55 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this grave transcription?:
"...JAMES CHARLES CLARK 17-3-1856 16-8-1910 / Wife / IDA 25-5-1863 24-7-1910 / Infant daughter / LAURA WINIFRED 28-10-1906 28-8-1908"
source: https://gwulo.com/node/8740

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 July 19 20:10 BST (UK) »
I hadn't seen the Gwulo ref as I was not looking at HK. I think these are all references to the same family but I just need to reconcile the dates, places, etc. Some I got from newspaper items but maybe the burial and grave inscriptions are more accurate. Will check HK sources too.
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 July 19 20:17 BST (UK) »

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 July 19 20:39 BST (UK) »
Interesting that they are all listed on the Guignard plot. I wonder if what looks to be three drawers or compartments stacked behind the inscription, contain the ashes as I believe some of them died in Shanghai? Theodore Guignard or the son George Theodore was in the auto business and had the Renault dealership for at least north China, maybe all of China. J B Taylor was involved or owned Central Garage in HK and also had branch operations in Shanghai I think. The son was also in the auto business.
Another Guignard ( Rene ) was the accounts man for General Motors for China and was later based in Switzerland.
They are all connected.
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley